Forum Replies Created
The client is updating OpenDNS directly without issue. Good work! Thanks for all your hard work on this.
The client does not appear to be sending the updates through DNS-O-Matic, but to OpenDNS directly. If Zeroshell were to update DNS-O-Matic, the one update message can propagated to DynDNS, OpenDNS, and other dynamic DNS services as well.
Here is the API documentation for DNS-O-Matic.
A single DNS-O-Matic client updater in Zeroshell effectively gives you a client for all these dynamic DNS services:
DNS Made Easy
DSL Reports Monitor
I noticed the OpenDNS updater patch you posted. I will give it a try tonight.
Thanks for all your hard work on zeroshell!
Yes, I would like to see SNMP support at some point too. My Cacti site is looking rather barren since I moved to Zeroshell…..
That got it done.
I added these two lines to my post-boot script:
echo “supersede domain-name “example.com”;” >> /etc/dhclient.conf
echo “supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;” >> /etc/dhclient.conf
but it seems that dhclient as already done it’s thing by the time the post-boot script runs. This solves any further DHCP lease renewal issues but doesn’t get it before the client obtains a lease on boot.
Putting these two lines in the pre-boot script doesn’t seem to do anything.
How do I make this persistent?
That would be great Fulvio! Thanks for all your work on Zeroshell.
I have Zeroshell successfully installed and operating in production on a Nokia IP130.
For some reason, the Nokia IP110, IP120, and IP130 all have invalid/corrupt checksums in their Intel NIC EEPROMs. The Nokia IP110 and IP120 do not even have MAC addresses in their EEPROMs. The Nokia IP130’s I have encountered DO have valid MAC addresses written to their EEPROMs, but still have invalid/incorrect checksums.
Apparently the Nokia IPSO operating system makes up its own MAC addresses and is not affected by the invalid checksums.
The IP110 only has 64mb of ram fixed to the board; not sufficient to run Zeroshell.
The IP120 (128mb) and IP130 (256mb) can run Zeroshell, quite well actually. Follow the instructions HERE to correct the EEPROM issue. When ERUPDATE writes MAC addresses to the EEPROMs it also (correctly) recalculates the EEPROM checksums which allows the e100 driver to successfully load without error. In the case of the IP120, you are adding MAC addresses where there aren’t any. In the case of the IP130, MACs are there, but the act of overwriting them with (the same or a new) MAC corrects the checksum error.
One thing to note, after much frustration on my part, I discovered that the successful updating of the EEPROMs only occurs when you DO NOT have a serial console cable attached. Dunno why the console cable being attached forks things up, but it does. There is no console output from this process anyways, so there is nothing worth monitoring. You must script everything through autoexec.bat, and the only way to know things successfully completed is by piping the output to files and reading them after the fact on another machine. You need to wait two to three minutes (at least) for the box to boot and run the ERUPDATE on all 3 EEPROMs.
As micol stated, to install Zeroshell, write the CF image to the drive using the m0n0wall physdiskwrite utility (windows) or DD (linux).
The only bug I have discovered is that a reboot does not in fact reboot the box. It seems to go down and hang, never coming back up. I don’t know exactly why; I am assuming the kernel has Geode support compiled in given the support for PCEngines ALIX stuff.
Fantastic. Thanks Fulvio!