ZeroShell Setup as home router

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell ZeroShell Setup as home router

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  deamon_knight 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have a spare computer I want to use with ZeroShell, to create a home network with wired & wireless access.

I have 3 Network Interfaces, a 10Mb Interface connected to my ISP, a 1GB Interface Connected to a network Switch serving my LAN, and a Wireless Network Card to provide a WiFi connection. I have configured ZeroShell so that the 10MB interface gets an IP address from the ISP. Then I assign an IP address to the 1GB interface and setup DHCP for that interface. After enabling NAT on the 1GB and 10MB interfaces and configuring the Default DNS I can connect several computers to my switch, the switch is then connected to the 1GB interface and the client computers gets an IP and can browse the internet, and can access shared resources on each other.

I’m not sure how to get the wireless working from this point. I have enabled the Wireless interface, but enabling NAT on that interface does not get access to the internet. I can see the SSID of my wireless network, and can connect to it, but I cannot browse the internet.

Ideally I want to treat a computer connected to the network wirelessly the same as if it were just connected to the switch, obtain an IP and be able to browse network resources on other computer on my local network.

I can assign an IP to the wireless interface and set DHCP on that interface, I’m not sure that will give me the result I want. Should I bridge the Wireless and 1GB interfaces? I’m not sure how to proceed here.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I bridged the Wireless and 1GB adapters and that seems to do what I want it to. I’m not sure if this is the best way but it is what I will do for now.

Alderon
    Participant

You`r right about bridging LAN and WLAN interfaces, but NAT should be enabled only on WAN (10Mb) interface.

Thanks for the advice Alderon, I stand corrected. I just experimented with this, and it does not look like I needed NAT on ETH00 (my LAN connection).

I’d lake to put some of this into a Guide for new users, but I don’t have the networking know-how. Many, myself included, seem to using an outdated and incorrect guide that says to bridge the LAN and WAN adapters. I got passed that by experimenting.

Is there a downside to enabling NAT on both WAN and LAN adapters?

abale

To make the wireless and 1GB a single LAN (local area network), you would bridge them together. A ‘bridge’ in the term of networking is a device to allow you to connect 2 different type of physical networks – in your case wireless and 1GB wired – as a single logical network.

As for enabling NAT – network address translation – on both WAN and LAN adapters:
    You only need to enable NAT on the network connection that is on the Internet – in this case the 10MB adapter. It translates the private IPs of your LAN to requests on the public IP from your ISP (on the 10GB NIC). You wouldn’t want to translate any other connection your network – it wouldn’t go anywhere useful and may cause some loss of connections.

NAT is the software / logic that allows your router to make requests on the Internet for your computers on the LAN. It is used because otherwise your ISP would need to give you an IP address for every computer on your network to access the Internet and all your computers would then be accessible by people on the Internet directly. ISPs charge a lot to give you multiple IP addresses.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.