Zeroshell on top of Debian (or otther distributions) ?

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Zeroshell on top of Debian (or otther distributions) ?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sorcerer 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

sorcerer

Hi,

I am planning to run Zeroshell on an Alix board with plenty of storage because I liked the interface and possibilities of Zeroshell.
    However, as I have plenty of disk space, I would like to have opportunities of a more common Linux distribution such as Debian or Ubuntu (or even Voyage Linux)
    On these distributions I can use development packages such as gcc, make etc to compile any Linux opensource software.And also on such distributions I can install ready (precompiled) packages with tools like yum, apt-get etc.

Is there a way to reach advantages of Zeroshell on a complete Debian installation ? (or other distributions I mentioned above)

What I would like to have is ready features of Zeroshell together with possibility of compiling and installing other software.

Thanks for your comments…

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Is there a way to reach advantages of Zeroshell on a complete Debian installation ? (or other distributions I mentioned above)

No, it is not so easy. Zeroshell is an indipendent linux distribution, derived from Linux From Scratch, but with the startup scripts quite customized.

sorcerer

Ok; in this case what would you recommend to me ?

I am quite used to Linux so I can manage to install Debian and required packages for a completely customizable environment.
    However, I would like to have a web interface for managing features of a gateway/router such as dns, firewall and nat rules, qos, vpn etc.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Webmin could be a good solution for you.

sorcerer

@fulvio wrote:

Webmin could be a good solution for you.

does it have modules for iptables (firewall, nat, qos, traffic shaping) , dns, dyndns, pppoe, vpn (pptp) etc. ?

sorcerer

well , I installed webmin and some modules:
    dyndns – ok
    pppoe – ok
    pptp client – module ok , but pptp could not be established
    firewall – iptables ok
    nat – not as easy as on a modem

I will try to build it up. however, I wish there was a clean interface as zeroshell.

Could you just release zeroshell web interface (and required packets) as an addon to any Linux Distribution ?

sorcerer

is it impossible ?

rochajoel

Virtualization might be a good solution for you…

sorcerer

what is that ?

sorcerer

I am sorry to disturb by asking again but what is “Virtualization” ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.