Zeroshell + IPP2P on an ISP

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Zeroshell + IPP2P on an ISP

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Elian 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Elian

Hi guys,

I work as network engineer on an ISP and i’m trying to deploy some kind of solution about policing/shapping P2P traffic. Any of you have experience about this using Zeroshell+IPP2P? Talking about 600mb traffic, what kind of hardware do you think could be capable to handle this?

By the way, do you know if IPP2P works under a MPLS enviroment?

Thanks in advance,
    Elian.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

I haven’t experience with L7-Filter, IPP2P and a throughput greater than 100Mbit/S. In this condition I use a dual Pentium 3 1000MHz with 1GB of RAM and the load average is very low. But actually the problem when you use the layer 7 filter (the same for IPP2P) is the number of new connections per second and not the throughput, because these netfilter modules examine only a few packets of the initial connection. The rest of connection traffic is classified by using the connection tracking which doesn’t need of much CPU power, but only of RAM to store information about the connections.
    I think the best solution is to use a multicore CPU of the last generation with at least 1GB of RAM.
    I haven’t tried these filters in a MPLS environment, but in any case they work at IP layer and I don’t think MPLS can be a problem at that level.

Regards
    Fulvio

Elian

Thanks for your answer. I’m nearly to deploy this solution under a 50mb enviroment and then i’ll post my experience. If all works fine i hope to test it under a 200mb interface soon 🙂

How about graphs or some report where it shows how much P2P bandwidth has been limited with ipp2p/l7filter? Do you know any tool who do this or some SNMP way to poll the server and obtain the data?

Thanks,
    Elian.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

In the future I will include in Zeroshell a SNMP agent from which will be possible to retrieve statistics such as the traffic shaping classification. You will be ale to store and view them by using a web tool such as MRTG.

Regards
    Fulvio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.