Zeroshell in Virtual Machine

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Zeroshell in Virtual Machine

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  pprincipe 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

pprincipe

Hello. I`m trying to configure a Zeroshell in a VM with VMware. My problem is that I don`t know how to configure the networking adapter. I want to use 1 of them to conect the internet and the other to conect to a switch and share the conection. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Sorry for my poor english

panther

I had this working in my last config. In general, it’s not worth doing unless you REALLY want to use some of the filtering/QoS/firewall functionality of ZeroShell over your hardware router.

The way I did it was I created two NICs in VMWare on the vm. (It has to be ‘powered off’ to do that.) Then follow your standard configuration for a two-eth system.

The trick is, your router needs to be on a DIFFERENT subnet than all your other machines on the LAN, is 192.168.10.1 and your ETH0 should be 192.168.10.2, with the router set as its gateway, among other things. Then, set ETH1 to an IP in the range where all your other machines on the LAN will live, ie 192.168.1.1. In this way, you’re building a network that is, for all intents and purposes, just like a real hardware LAN because the only machines that will talk to each other are on the same subnet ranges.

Note: Disable DHCP on the router, or it will confuse your LAN. You don’t want machines thinking they should connect up to something in the 192.168.10.* range.

Hope that helps.

pprincipe

Lots of thanks. I`m going to do it. I hope it work!

micampo

panther

what do you mean with that paragraph

I had this working in my last config. In general, it’s not worth doing unless you REALLY want to use some of the filtering/QoS/firewall functionality of ZeroShell over your hardware router.

tk

panther

What I meant by that is simple: forcing every packet through a virtual machine has a cost, and it’s one that I found was valuable only when I needed to control the flow of packets that carefully.

My current VM just uses Zeroshell for DHCP and DNS, authentication over LDAP, etc. There’s some great stuff in there. But using it as the router is a little excessive unless you’re using the packet filtering, which I found I really wasn’t.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.