Zero Shell Bolt on? To another Distro.

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Zero Shell Bolt on? To another Distro.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cozzicon 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

cozzicon

Hi all,

I just finished testing Zeroshell. I love it.

Usually I roll my own routers off of RHE4 to I can bolt on whatever software I need in addition to the pure routing toys. So I’m able to add things like Wireshark, Etherape, Nagios… Etc.

From an administrative standpoint this works best in my environment where I have a number of edge routers, where firewalling is done through a bridge, and NAT is used if a LAN is present. I also need to be able to punch in remotely and be able to see and or capture traffic graphically, so quick decisions can be made administratively.

(Just as a reference, I’ve got root on over 50 servers- I’m a busy man)

I’ve had a back and forth with Fulvio via e-mail regarding making Zeroshell also be a “bolt on” to a standard linux distro- which at face value seems fairly easy (Even if you needed a custom kernel).

It doesn’t matter *which* distribution it would bolt on to- whatever is easiest. The idea would be to take the firewall system to a level higher than any of the systems out there, with the addition of a GUI/package management system to easily customize and provide some real time traffic analysis tools.

So in essence the idea would be to have two versions, a standalone (like we have now), and a version that can be installed onto a particular distribution (the “bolt on”).

Fulvio asked me to post this here, and see what the rest of the community thinks.

I like the idea, what do you other folks think?

joar

Go for it!

webwarrior

Can we have it in Fedora Core 7 this weekend?

ha ha.

I think it is a brilliant idea!

that will allow hor one machine to be set up as a internet kiosk, and a wireles AP attached to it. the machine can then be hosting the gui to browse the net, and host a hotspot service.

2 flies with one blow.

Go for it.

http://www.streetnet.co.nz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.