What jobs/tasks is ZeroShell the best at?

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell What jobs/tasks is ZeroShell the best at?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  trpted 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

trpted

For example non OS:

A hammer is the best to get in a nail. Could use a screw driver, but that is not the best tool for the job/task.

Comparing ZeroShell to other distros in the same category (not for example against pfSense – one of many distros designed for connection sharing), what jobs/task is it the best at?

Thank you

DrmCa
    Participant

Zeroshell is a router that runs on the very minimal CPU and memory configurations and leaves a very small footprint.

Comparing it with Zentyal for example, I could run Zeroshell on a single-core 2.2 GHz P4 Celeron with 512 MB SD-RAM, but Zentyal would not even load properly on a 3 GHz P4 with 2 GB DDR.

It is good for load-balancing and handles lots of connections year after year without reboot.

It lacks on the UI side in some areas and I could never get VPN to work as yet.

Zentyal comes pre-installed with the Jabber, Email, STUN, SAMBA, LDAP and several other servers that Zeroshell is lacking.

So if you are looking for something that can run on a very small or old machine, ZS is the way to go. If your configuraiton is modern and there is plenty of resources, than you can find a more feature reach solution.

reaperz

Hello

Zentyal is different, it is more like for datacenter. We use it as a BGP router in our server room.

Zeroshell is good for NAT gateway at home or small office.

Zeroshell is excellent if you quickly need to connect 2 office networks with VPN-either routed or bridged. I just quickly extended office network to one event location at restaurant. For that I used 2 laptops running Zeroshell (and USB NIC-s for second interface).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.