WAN PPPoE Performance – Kernel mode disabled?

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking WAN PPPoE Performance – Kernel mode disabled?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eduardo Frazão 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Eduardo Frazão
    Participant

Hi folks.
    I have a 100/100mbps pppoe connection on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3000+ with 2GB of RAM. Its a old machine, but it can handle my setup.

I’m trying zero shell 3.8.2, but the pppoe has performance issues. When using about 70mbps of download or upload, it takes about 90% of CPU usage (I can see the PPPoE process with TOP).

With PFSense it takes mutch less of CPU Usage for example.

I’ve noted that the PPPoE Client does not use the Kernel Mode PPPoE. The PPPoE module was even unloaded. Its possible to setup my pppoe connection using the kernel mode?
    Thanks.

fulvio
    Keymaster

Hi,

what I think is that rp-pppoe in Zeroshell has never used kernel mode because I never configured to be used. Let me investigate about the possibility to configure it.

Regards
    Fulvio

Eduardo Frazão
    Participant

Hi @fulvio. Thank you very mutch by your answer. I like zeroshell and if this performance problem with PPPoE can be mitigated, I can migrate my firewall to it 🙂

Theres an video on youtube of another user, with the same problem:

Off course that direct ethernet will have best performance, but look at the extremelly high CPU load with few mbps usage!

fulvio
    Keymaster

Yes, I notice. I’m working to solve this issue.
    Regards
    Fulvio

Eduardo Frazão
    Participant

Thank you very mutch!!

fulvio
    Keymaster

I’ve released a patch that enables the PPPoE Kernel mode.
    Regards
    Fulvio

Eduardo Frazão
    Participant

Thank you very mutch. I will try in my enviroment!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.