VPN Bonding speed issue

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell VPN Bonding speed issue

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  chrisbarr35 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

chrisbarr35

Hi,

I’ve configured a VPN bond of two tunnels between Zeroshell on a net 5501 at our office connected to two ADSL routers and a Zeroshell on a VMWare server located in a datacentre with just one 100Mbs connection.
    I’ve assigned two IPs to the VMware server and created two static routes on the office Zeroshell box with a /32 mask to send traffic to each of these IPs over one of the two ADSL connectios respectively.

The bond is all up and running and does the failover function fine.
    However when bonded the download speed is about 25% of what it is when running on one connection but the upload twice that of a single connection! I’m getting no packet loss.
    If I untick “up” next to one of the VPN tunnels then I get normal download speeds over the unbonded tunnel.

Does anyone have any suggestions or found a solution to this as I’m stumped!

Thanks in advance

Chris

ppalias

Hi Chris,
    it may have to do with the direction of the upload. The DSLs usually have a low speed upload.If this is not the issue you can try to setup the vpn tunnels over UDP instead of TCP. Search the forum as I recall having this issue discussed once again.

chrisbarr35

Hi PP,

I’ve tried the connections over UDP as well however the zeroshell device connects both tunnels to the IP of the first tunnel and then the “bonded” speed is only the speed of a single connection because only the first is used.

I’ve tested both connections and get roughly 5Mb/s down and 0.6Mb/s upload on each. When using the VPN bond I get 1.5Mb/s down and 1Mb/s on the upload. The bond is working perfectly on the upload but not on the download!

I’ve had a look at all the other posts of similar issues but there doesn’t seem to be a solution found yet.

thanks

Chris

ppalias

Check on this

chrisbarr35

Hi PP,

I read that post the other day and tried the UDP VPN tunnels, however both tunnels connected using the IP listed in the first tunnel configuration and sent all traffic down the first link.

Is there a way to avoid this?

regards,

ppalias

You should be using the IP of the BOND, not the tunnel. Could you post here a picture of the ZS configuration to check what is wrong?
    We need the interfaces and the routes.

chrisbarr35

Hi PP,

sorry for the delay in replying. I’ve tried again today using a physical server rather than a VM at the datacentre side but with the same results.

Here is a screenshot of the configuration when both Tunnels are UDP. note how on this second tunnel the remote host IP is different to the IP it has actually connected to.

Have problems with Bonded VPN performance every been resolved?

thanks again

chris

ppalias

Don’t use Gateway: AUTO
    Use one of your wan connections on this tunnel and another on the other tunnel. Next use as gateway the remote BOND IP.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.