VLAN’s, Zeroshell and an Intel Pro 100 Dual NIC

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell VLAN’s, Zeroshell and an Intel Pro 100 Dual NIC

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  unsichtbare 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

unsichtbare

I seem to be having trouble getting Zeroshell to “feed” VLAN tagged packets to my Linksys managed switch. At least it seems that way. Here’s the setup:

Zeroshell in a VM on ESX

2 Physical NIC’s (Intel Pro 1000 Dual/copper)
      one uplink/outside ETH01, one IP
      one VLAN’s/inside ETH00, three IP’s 192.168.1.1, 192.168.10.1 (VLAN 10), 192.168.20.1 (VLAN 20)
      DHCP on VLAN 10 and VLAN 20
      NAT enabled on ETH01

As far as I know, the SRW248 switch is set correctly

zeroshell to switch set to trunking, accept tagged packets on VLAN 10 & 20
      Client ports set to accept untagged packets on VLAN’s 10 or 20

Is there any way to test and see if it is Zeroshell or Linksys that is not VLAN’ing?

-J

imported_fulvio
    Participant

You should have another device that is VLAN aware to connect directly to Zeroshell. For example a Linux computer. You have to use the vconfig command to enable the trunk on the interface. In alternative you could directly connect two Zeroshell to check if VLAN work fine. I often use VLAN trunking without any issue.

Regards
    Fulvio

unsichtbare

The problem definately occurrs between the VM (Zeroshell) and the host (ESX 3.5). I was able to test my switch with a borrowed 802.1q router and vlans definately work.

While I did discover that on ESX Server in order to pass VLAN’s along to the guest OS, one must specify a vlan ID of 4095 on the Port Group containing the VM, http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_vlan_wp.pdf that has been done ans still no luck.

One thing I noticed is that the two Broadcom NIC’s on my ESX are running a driver called tg3 and the two Intel NIC’s are running an e1000 driver, but the VM (Zeroshell) itself sees: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 10) . Could the virtual NIC driver be causing Zeroshell not to pass along tagged packets?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.