VLAN number and Native VLAN

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking VLAN number and Native VLAN

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jaclaz 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

jaclaz

Only to report something that I found by trial and error (possibly it is “by design” and the issue is/was due to my lack of specific knowledge).
    I used Zeroshell as a router connected to a Cisco 2950 switch (to which several WiFi Access Points are connected).
    The LAN is configured for “trunk mode” and on the Cisco side there are two VLAN’s:
    VLAN 1 (Native) < - this is the so-called "management" VLAN
    VLAN 20 < - this is the actual "traffic/clients" VLAN Initially I thought that I had to add to the ETH00 interface TWO VLAN’s, 1 and 20, but the VLAN 1 simply didn’t work as expected.
    Then I set just the 20 VLAN as it was the one I actually needed to route traffic from, and added the IP address for the VLAN 1 to the “direct” ETH00 and everything worked as expected.

So, if you have several VLAN’s you need to add to the ETH00 all the VLAN’s sub-interface BUT the Native one (which is “directly” connected to the “main” interface ETH00).

As said, most probably this is “obvious” but it is not “intuitive”, and I found no specific docs about this.

Hope this may help someone in similar troubles.

jaclaz

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.