Updates to local DNS server

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Updates to local DNS server

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  dpm 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

dpm

This question has been asked a few years ago, but I’ve seen no recent postings.

I’m evaluating ZeroShell as a replacement for my Netgear FVS338 firewall/router to service a small home office network consisting of several servers, a handful of workstations and laptops, and a couple of devices. In particular, I would like to depend upon a local DNS server rather than relying on host files which always seem to be out of date.

Most modern DHCP implementations have the ability to notify the local DNS server when leases are assigned. A connecting system passes its host name to the DHCP server, who instucts the DNS server create the A and PTR records for the system who was assigned the lease. I’m not talking about a dynamic DNS update as in DynDns.org, but an update of the local DNS service managed by ZeroShell.

How does one do this with the ZeroShell interface? In a 2008 posting, some suggested the LDAP/Bind interface used at the time prevented or didn’t support such functionality but there might be a workaround using a perl or bash script. Is this still the case? Short of defining static IP addresses for everything on the network, what do other people do? If I go down the route of using a script, how does one hook this in using the ZeroShell interface?

Thanks,
    don

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.