traffic optimization and compression and acceleration

Home Page Forums Network Management Request a new feature traffic optimization and compression and acceleration

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  aminos 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

aminos

There is only one solution that i never found in open source, i found one small project called trafficsqueezer, but it’s in its first development, it’s a big thing, and if done no software open source nor commercial will stand in front of ZEROSHELL, and if zeroshell implements payed support for their project, this is pure money that could fund other projects….

i hope everyone that reads this post, replies so this appears as important as it should be bcoz there are no traffic optimization/acceleration/compression open source projects… but till now i congratulate all zeroshell team for the powerfull work.

Best regards, Mohammad Amin Hasbini

HakanL

Hi,

I looked at that project and it’s just to optimize (compress) communication between two TrafficSqueeze boxes, not optimize internet traffic in general.

/Hakan

Alan Ting

ZS really nice but
    I hope zeroshell will have wan accelerator feature on future release also…

Thanks in advance.

atheling

@Alan Ting wrote:

ZS really nice but
    I hope zeroshell will have wan accelerator feature on future release also…

Thanks in advance.

It kind of, sort of, has it now: You will need something at the other end that can deal with the compression/decompression (which is what the “accelerator” is).

Turns out the OpenVPN that is in Zeroshell has compression enabled. So it can act as an accelerator while it is giving you an encrypted link. Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on your environment.

The Internet link where I work is only a T1 (1.5 Mbps) using Tunnelblick (packaged version of OpenVPN for Macintosh) to link into Zeroshell on my home network I get between 2 and 2.5Mbps. So I am getting some acceleration over the physical link speed using the VPN.

When I VPN into work from home using the Cisco Anyconnect client I get slightly better results in the same general speed range. So I think that the Cisco VPN is doing basically the same thing as OpenVPN on compression. My guess is the slight difference in speed is due to the Cisco VPN using UDP rather than TCP as Zeroshell configures OpenVPN.

(Don’t get me started on how the Cisco loads their TUN kernel extension at system start making it difficult for other TUN based programs like OpenVPN to co-exist.)

Alan Ting

I understand that OpenVPN can enable LZO compression but not in transparent bridge. If Wan/Lan optimize / accelerate between 2 ZS box in Bridge mode will be nice. In my situation, I want to use it in Long range wireless.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.