[Solved]Strange issue with connections

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell [Solved]Strange issue with connections

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Smokeshow 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Smokeshow

I am having some unusual issues with some Zeroshell routers that I cant make any sense of, nor can I explain very well. This issue started happening approximately one month ago at both locations, and has been very intermittent as to when it does happen, but it does happen just about all the time.

At work we are running Zeroshell 1.0beta11 at at home I am running Zeroshell 1.0beta12. We had netbalancer running on both, but have disabled it as part of the trouble shooting process.

Basically, it seems like we are having problems establishing connections. For example; when an employee attempts to go to a website it will try to load the page for several seconds before it times out. Then, if they hit refresh, the page loads right away. Same thing with e-mail. Our mail server is outside of our local network and when we open outlook it gives us an error saying it cannot connect to the server. If we hit “Send/Receive” or close & re-open outlook, we connect right away.

This is a big issue to us at work because most of our work is done through web-based applications provided by other companies. For the time being we have all of our CSR’s routed through a Linksys router so they don’t have any issues serving customers. The techs, however, are still using the zeroshell router because we utilize routing features that are unavaliable in a basic router/gateway.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I should check into first?

ppalias

I would suggest checking your DNS servers, if they respond in a timely manner. Looks like your first DNS server doesn’t answer and when you retry the second one answers immediately.

Smokeshow

Our DNS server seems to be responding just fine. In fact, the people we have switched over to the other gateway are still using the same DNS server (An old Windows 2000 machine) as the rest of us, except for the fact that they are working just fine.

What has me really confused about this issue is that the same thing is happening to me at home, and I am using a completely different DNS server that the one I use at the office.

ppalias

Leave a continuous ping running while you try to fetch your emails, browse a webpage and check for packet loss or delays. The ping will have to be to the same destination as the browse of the mail fetch.

Smokeshow

We finally tracked down the issue. For one reason or another there was another device on our network that was acting as a gateway and was using the same IP address as our Zeroshell gateway. We adjusted the configuration of that device and our issues have disappeared.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.