Soekris net5501/Zeroshell NIC card compatibility?

Home Page Forums Network Management Embedded Devices Soekris net5501/Zeroshell NIC card compatibility?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  atheling 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

atheling

Just getting started with a Zeroshell installation on a net5501 and would like some additional network interfaces.

The Zeroshell version is latest, just downloaded yesterday.

So I picked what I think to be a relatively generic 10/100 NIC and tried installing it in the one PCI slot. The LAN/speed LEDs seem to work right when I plug/unplug a cable. But Zeroshell is reporting an unknown state in both cases. Here is the output from the serial console (same indication on the Web UI):

==========
    ********* ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 (rev 11)
    ETH04 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:20:78:05:FC:FA
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe500
    ===========

My guess is that either the net5501’s BIOS or the drivers included with Zeroshell don’t support that card. But on the off chance that this used card has a fault, I was hoping there was a list of compatible NICs I could check. However I haven’t seen that.

So, does anyone know if other cards of this same model will work in my configuration?

(The four built in interfaces seem to work just fine, still figuring out all the bells and whistles on the UI though.)

ppalias

Do the following on a shell

lspci
    lsmod

we’ll which chipset this interface is using and if there is a corresponding module loaded. My believe is that the module exists and is loaded, but the card is faulty. ZS supports all the NICs that linux kernel (2.6.25.20) supports.

atheling

Thanks for the tip! Turns out you are right and the NIC card was defective. The replacement appears, without a lot of testing yet, to respond correctly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.