Soekris 6501 boot problem

Home Page Forums Network Management Embedded Devices Soekris 6501 boot problem

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  madrono 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

madrono

Has anyone been successful booting up the Soekris 6501? I have tried to boot the CF image via USB and SSD without success. The loader hangs at serial port redirect. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

rsiera

Did you manage to solve that problem?
    I looking for confirmation that Zeroshell can run on Soekris 6501.
    Thx.
    Rob

madrono

no solution yet

zer0Linux

Any updates or alternative solutions to that problem?

rsiera

I’m working already all day to get Zeroshell installed to the SSD via TFTP. So i’m not even close to the problem let alone the solution 😉

iptableuser

I have the exact same problem I just bought 3 Soekris 6501 boxes and I can’t get zeroshell to boot. Not good.

Any ideas?

rsiera

No ideas yet. I can reproduce the problem now, so that step one. But now it is on my todo list to find a zeroshell/soekris/linux wizard you can help us further. I’ll send a mail to Fulvio with this thread. Hopelly he can send us into the correct direction.

iptableuser

At the moment I am trying to boot off USB and it hangs on the serial console redirection message.

If I boot off USB with the CF ALIX 5501 image it hangs on detecting USB ports

I am going to try and boot off a SATA drive next.

Would be good to know if the 6501 is compatiable or not. If its not I guess I will move to pfsense firewall. As I have 3 of these 6501 boxes now.

Hopefully there is a solution as I want to run zeroshell.

Thanks for replying.

iptableuser

I have had no luck booting from a SATA drive either GRUB does not load says ERROR.

Is it just a missing driver for the Soekris 6501 controller card?

If someone can point me in the right direction I will try to add it to the image if this is what it needs.

rsiera

Sorry I can’t help you. I asked Fulvio for his opinion/feedback, but got no reaction. I’ll will try soekris support too. I’m willing to pay for a solution, only problem seems to be finding someone who can fix it.

rsiera

I got some replies now:

Fulvio:

Sorry for the inconvenience. I do not know that device so I cannot help you. In the future I’ll try supporting it.

Soekris:

As we only make hardware it’ll be up to the zeroshell project to update their image to work with the net6501. I haven’t tried myself so I can only rely on the topic you linked but it seems like something needs to be updated in Zeroshell.

Any suggestions anyone how to get out of this loop?

iptableuser

I am out as I have now installed pfsense firewall and is working no problem on the 6501.

rsiera

Apparently Soekris was so kind to ship a Net6501 towards Fulvio after I informed them of this thread. Fulvio has already examined the issue and hopes to come up with a new release in June that supports the Soekris Net6501 device.
    Thanks guys!

rsiera

Normally Zeroshell 2.0.RC1 (http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/announcements/) should be installable on Soekris Net6501

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.