Simple DNS configuration

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking Simple DNS configuration

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lennart 10 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

lennart

Hi!

I am what I would call a “DNS noob”. I know alot of other networking stuff but I never got around to setting up a DNS server. I have read all the basics in the tldp howto, However I was hoping for some help with actually setting this up in ZeroShell.

Ok here are my specs:

I have a device with 6 NICs running ZeroShell. The first nick is connected to the gateway (ip:192.168.80.80/24), and for each of the remaining 5 NICs i have given them ips and matching DHCP server like so:

ip: 10.0.1.1/24, dhcp range 100-200
    ip: 10.0.2.1/24, dhcp range 100-200
    ip: 10.0.3.1/24, dhcp range 100-200
    ip: 10.0.4.1/24, dhcp range 100-200
    ip: 10.0.5.1/24, dhcp range 100-200

My gateway, a dsl router i got from my ISP, forwards (almost) all traffic to my ZeroShell box.

My dsl router has a static public IP that I have pointed my own “testdomain.com” domain to.

Questions:

1. How can i make sure my box acts properly as a dns server for computers connected to one of the “dhcp nics” ?

2. Is it possible to create a dns structure in the webinterface so that my computers can be reached by names like computername.subnet.testdomain.com from within the lan? With the “subnet” part of the name, I mean one of the NICs (so for example a computer “katana” connected to nic2 might be named katana.dmz.testdomain.com, while another computer “tanto” connected to nic3 might be named tanto.lan.testdomain.com)? How would I go about to set this up?

I hope this was clear. If something is not clear, please let me know!

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.