Setting up a DNS zone, A-record.

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Setting up a DNS zone, A-record.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  walker 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

walker

Hey

Can any one help me to how i set up my dns zone in zeroshell?

I’ve setup a master zone for my domain “domain.com” and i can setup my subdomains to work just fine, but not the “clean” domain…

I’ve setup a records for ns.domain.com which resolves to a internal address just fine, but when i can’t setup a a-record for the domain it self?
    A-records with the entry name @, won’t work.

Can any one give me a hint here?

thanx
    walker

ppalias

Entry name should be the name itself, address record A and address the IP address. In the reverse entry name is the last octet of the IP address, Reverse address record PTR and hostname the full FQDN.

walker

Thanx for the answer.

@ppalias wrote:

Entry name should be the name itself, address record A and …

I’m sorry, but i don’t quite get it… Entry name should be what?

I’ve tried creating a A record where entry name is “domain.com” but this just creates a sub-domain called “domain.com.domain.com” which serves no purpos.

ppalias

walker

I tried what you are doing. As far as i can see, you are associating a subdomain with an IP on this picture.

When you make an A-record for “barracuda”, you associate “barracuda.trendy.awmn” with the ip address…

What happens if you do a “dig trendy.awmn +short” ?

ppalias

Barracuda is not a subdomain, it is a host.

root@zeroshell root> dig trendy.awmn +short
    root@zeroshell root> dig trendy.awmn

; <> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <> trendy.awmn
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 20168
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;trendy.awmn. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    trendy.awmn. 86400 IN SOA ns0.trendy.awmn. xxxx.xxxx.xxx.gr. 2010012402 10800 3600 604800 86400

;; Query time: 29 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Jan 28 09:41:22 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 86

root@zeroshell root> dig barracuda.trendy.awmn

; <> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <> barracuda.trendy.awmn
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 37026
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;barracuda.trendy.awmn. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    barracuda.trendy.awmn. 86400 IN A 10.14.149.3

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    trendy.awmn. 86400 IN NS ns0.nettraptor.awmn.
    trendy.awmn. 86400 IN NS ns2.trendy.awmn.
    trendy.awmn. 86400 IN NS ns0.trendy.awmn.
    trendy.awmn. 86400 IN NS ns1.trendy.awmn.

;; Query time: 15 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Jan 28 09:41:33 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 138

walker

I can see that you don’t get an ip address either, for you top domain, trendy.awmn
    And that is exactly what i’m trying to figure out.
    In your example, you do not get an answer on your dig requiest for trendy.awmn. You do though for barracuda.trendy.awmn.

when you dig trendy.awmn, it asks for an result for the question “IN A”, but gets no answer. Looking at your results, i can see the “QUESTION SECTION” bot no “ANSWER SECTION”.
    If you deside to put up a website on “trendy.awmn” you won’t be able to resolve the name “http://trendy.awmn” from within your network.

If i install bind on a another machine, and i write the zonefiles myself, i can put in an A-record without an entry name. This is a working zonefile i’ve written:

$TTL 604800
    trendy.awmn. IN SOA ns.trendy.awmn. root.trendy.awmn. (
    38400 )
    trendy.awmn. IN NS ns.trendy.awmn.
    trendy.awmn. IN MX 10 mail.trendy.awmn.

A 10.14.149.3 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< *
    ns A 192.168.0.1
    mail A 192.168.0.15

*I’ve marked the line above.

I’ve also seen examples where the entry name for the a-record above, is “@”. So what i think would be nice, is if i was able to put in an a-record in the SOA-creation.

I’m not at all sure, what i’ve stated above is correct, but this is how i believe it is, please correct med, cause i must do something wrong 😉

/walker

Thanx for the replies and effort 🙂

ppalias

Ok I see what you mean.
    This should be done in the awmn zone.

$TTL    604800
    awmn. IN SOA ns.awmn. root.awmn. (
    38400 )
    awmn. IN NS ns.awmn.
    awmn. IN MX 10 mail.awmn.

trendy A 10.14.149.3
    ns A 192.168.0.1
    mail A 192.168.0.15

walker

I’ve been down that road, but my domain is actually a registered .dk domain. If i try creating a dk-domain in zeroshell, i can’t resolve any other dk domains… So, that method won’t work…

What puzzles me the most, is that the it is possible with text zone files, but not the ldap backend in zeroshell, it isn’t… What would give most logic to me, was if it was possible to put in an A record in the SOA creating, but i am aware that it isn’t possible…

thanx
    walker

ppalias

Maybe it would be a good idea to switch the DNS to plain text files instead of LDAP. I have come across some difficulties as well, when it comes to DNS.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Walker, I am not able to understand what is the problem.
    You should select the the entry in which there if the SOA a just click on the ADD button to add an A record.
    What is the difficulty?

Fulvio

atheling

I side stepped this issue by creating a domain that does not exist in the Internet. For example, assume I have mycompany.com.

I created hq.mycompany.com in Zeroshell and then assigned internal names for all my boxes (box1.hq.mycompany.com, etc.). DNS requests for publicly accessible servers (mail.mycompany.com, http://www.mycompany.com) are passed on out to the DNS hosting company and are returned with external IP addresses.

I then set Zeroshell’s NAT capabilities to redirect local requests for the public servers to the local address(es) for the servers.

End result: I did not have to replicate all off the public DNS entries, including SPF, DKIM, SIP SRV, etc. on Zeroshell. All public address work from inside and all boxes inside have DNS names that are only available from inside. As a bonus, if I ever decide to move a public server to a hosting company I don’t have to muck with the DNS as much, and the NAT entries could even stay without hurting anything.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.