set a domain with zeroshell-1.0beta11

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell set a domain with zeroshell-1.0beta11

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  doudou225 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

doudou225

Hi.It’s the second time i come over this forum to have a solution to my problem. I use zeroshell-1.0beta11, and i’d like to know wether i could set a domain for my home computer network ( almost like windows server 2003 does). I already set a couple of services that work properly like dns, dhcp. I did try to set the domain several times , but its name still remains under the default name ( example.com) and the remainig computers of my network couln’t find any domain controller neither example.com nor test.com.. I want to set ( test.com instead). Does my package is able to do so? If yes, i wish you could provide with advices or tutorials to help me.
    Expecting some replies. Thanks ahead.

atheling

I don’t know for sure about beta11, but you can certainly do this in beta12.

Click on the DNS link on the left. Then click on new “SOA” to create the new domain, then add your entries there.

When doing this you want to use a domain that is not going to conflict with anything. Windows typically does “domain.local” but I think that even Microsoft is now saying that is not a good idea. Probably because Zeroconf and other automatic name assignment protocols use “.local”.

The other widely use recommendation is to take your public domain, say “company.com” and add on something you will never use on the Internet for the base of your naming. Say “hq.company.com”. Then start your naming there. “zeroshell.hq.company.com”, “server.hq.company.com”, etc.

doudou225

thank you atheling for your reply. with beta11, i see in the left frame dns, and when i click on it i see soa and i can enter my domain name ( kakou-doumbia.org ) , but still, i don’t know what to enter as entries. could you please give some examples of entries. Thank u so much!!!!!!

atheling

@doudou225 wrote:

thank you atheling for your reply. with beta11, i see in the left frame dns, and when i click on it i see soa and i can enter my domain name ( kakou-doumbia.org ) , but still, i don’t know what to enter as entries. could you please give some examples of entries. Thank u so much!!!!!!

I put all the machines on my LAN in to the local domain. For example I have a Sipura SPA-841 SIP telephone, so I set the Zeroshell DHCP server to give a fixed IP address for it based on the MAC address and then I set Zeroshell’s DNS server to have a the name spa841.hq.mycompany.com

I have also setup NAT so that any attempt to access my external IP address(es) from inside the LAN result in accessing my publicly accessible servers. So I can simply have the base domain of mycompany.com get resolved like any other Internet domain name.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.