RPI 3B : Limitation

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell RPI 3B : Limitation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Yonas 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Robert Yonas
    Participant

Hi,
    I am glad ZeroShell supports RPI 3B natively. Anyway, I am currently testing ZeroShell’s captive portal and I think this can be deployed as our office’s captive portal. What am I asking is, can anybody help me to identify how many client can access the Internet through RPI 3B’s ZeroShell? Our Internet bandwith is around 50mbps, if you are wondering.

Thanks in advance.

Erik Mathis
    Participant

since the RPI uses USB for all network bandwidth you will be very limited on thoughput.

Raspberry Pi network speed test: RPI2, RPI3, Zero, ZeroW (LAN&WiFi)

I would expect those speeds to be cut in half since you will have two USB Ethernet dongles.

You might want to look into different device then a RPI because of this.

Robert Yonas
    Participant

Hi Erik, thanks for fast response. I read the link that you commented, it seems RPI 3 can reach more than 100mbs which is more than enough to serve our internet speed I supose.

My plan is to utilize the existing ethernet port combined with usb dongle. Other than bandwidth, is it still suffice to serve, say 50 clients?

Erik Mathis
    Participant

Thats hard to answer, some folks might be streaming video, some audio, general surfing, or slack. dont forget about background updates. I’m pretty sure that RPI wont have the horse power to support 50 clients at once. The only way to really know is to test it. The configs are easy to backup and move to another system if it doesn’t work out. I personally would find an older desktop like an I3 which can be had for cheap and slap some nics in it and just use that.

Robert Yonas
    Participant

Got it. Unfortunately we don’t have spare PC. I only have this one RPI 3B. It means I have to invest on hardware to make it possible. I will test it though, thank you for your insight.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.