Reverse DNS for CIDR other than /24, /16, or /8 networks

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking Reverse DNS for CIDR other than /24, /16, or /8 networks

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  TechProfessional 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Is there any way to configure a reverse DNS zone in Zeroshell such that a single zone/domain would work for a CIDR network other than /24, /16, or /9? Specifically, I have several nets that are /23 that I’d like to manage more simply than having 2 reverse zones…

gordonf

It seems you’re interested in RFC 2137: Classless in-addr.arpa registration. This involves a whole lot of aliasing (CNAME) records for IPv4 routes smaller than /24.

There’s a fair bit of prep work you’d need to do to support this, though. I’ve been out of the loop on this sort of thing since 2006.

For anything /24 or larger though, you’re kinda stuck with one zone for each /24. You could create two or more /24s with a bunch of CNAME records and have them point to records in a classless zone sized for a /23 I suppose, but at that point you’re better off making two or more normal /24 zones just to stay sane.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.