QoS suggested features & improvements

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell QoS suggested features & improvements

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  triphel 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

triphel

My hats off to Fulvio & team. Zeroshell is great, I can see lots of hardwork put into this wildly growing popular distro.

Prior to getting in the QOS component, I’m primarily using zeroshell’s VM distro, and would like to first ask if its possible to pre-install VMTOOLS in future releases. This is ideal because with VMTOOLS installed, a VM optimized NIC driver is utilized as a result network latency is lower and you can stat the NIC with ethtool.

I’m primarily using Zeroshell as my QoS box and have been doing lots of research and experimenting with Linux QoS using command-line TC/iptables/netem (thanks to Zeroshell’s patched kernel!). At the end of the day, I have came to the conclusion that Linux QOS is still not yet mature when it comes to prioritizing delay-sensitive real-time traffic such as gaming and VOIP (i.e. can’t beat Cisco’s Link fragmentation and Interleaving). In terms of good QOS I mean by minimizing latency but most importantly configuring a consistent jitter and latency threshold. For example even if I configure ping as the highest priority and bulk file transfer as the lowest priority, when I upload and download using HTTP or FTP, ping latency/jitter numbers are not acceptable.

For possible QOS improvement, I came across a well written QoS script from Jim diGriz utilizing modified Kernel QoS schedulers:

http://redvip.homelinux.net/varios/WonderShaper/jdg-qos-script/www.digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script/

Fulvio, if you’re reading this, what are your thoughts to incorporate the following kernel patches.

– WRR (Weighted Round Robin)
    – ESFQ (Enchanced Stochastic Fairness)

Kind regards,
    Triphel

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Thanks for the suggesting, I want to see what is possible to do.

Regards
    Fulvio

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.