QoS on vlans

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell QoS on vlans

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jbtexas 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jbtexas

Greetings,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I’ve got a zeroshell box setup with 2 physical interfaces. ETH00=WAN, ETH01=LAN.

On ETH01 I’ve created several vlans as to have ETH01.2, ETH01.3, ETH01.4, etc.

I’m trying to get QoS setup on the vlans to control download bandwidth. I don’t see any option in the Interface Manager to apply classes to the vlans specifically, so I tried applying it to ETH00 to no avail.

I’ve found this post which seems to describe a similar problem, but it is several years old:
    http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/forum/viewtopic.php?t=361&highlight=vlan+qos

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ppalias

QoS should be applied to the WAN interface, which is the bottleneck of your connection.

jbtexas

Traffic shaping can only be applied to outbound connections, or am I wrong? If the goal is to shape downstream internet traffic, then the policies would need to be applied to the LAN interface as its outputting the downstream internet.

ppalias

Yup shaping is applied to outgoing traffic on an interface, BUT there is no point applying any QoS on an interface with plenty of bandwidth. I suppose your LAN is at least 100Mbps, if not 1Gbps, while your WAN connection is less than that.
    You apply QoS at the bottleneck, which is the WAN link.

jbtexas

That would only accomplish shaping upload internet traffic.

What I’m trying to do is prevent a single user from using the majority if the WAN download bandwidth. I can create tiered usage as to lower the maximum download speed after set intervals of data transfer (Up to 20 megs = full bandwidth, 20-100 megs = 1/4 bandwidth, etc). I’ve successfully done this per connection, and it works great when there are no vlans on the LAN interface.

Once I create VLANS on the lan interface, the qos classes no longer match anything but the default class on the lan interface.

ppalias

Upload internet traffic is connected with the download part because it contains the acknowledge packets. So by limiting the upload speed of a file transfer, you also decrease the download speed. Once a packet has arrived in your ZS router there is really no point dropping it, as the only thing you will manage is to have it retransmitted and occupy your WAN for that packet twice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.