QoS Issue – Web Interface Slow When downloading

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell QoS Issue – Web Interface Slow When downloading

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  SupaJ 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

SupaJ

I can’t access the Web interface of ZeroShell when I’m downloading at speeds near the max of my internet cnx(1Mb/s down, 256 Kb/s up).

How can I resolve this issue? Thanks.

Below is my Setup and QoS Rules:

Internet — eth01 — ZeroShell — eth0 — LAN.

QoS Rules:

SupaJ

Let me re-phrase my question:

Can I create a chain or rule that will cause ZeroShell’s shaping ruleset to ignore internal LAN traffic to and from Zeroshell. I’ve seen this been done before with the opensource Mastershaper(scroll to the bottom of the page). The chain from Mastershaper would look like this:

######### chain LAN
    /sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 parent 1:1 protocol all prio 2 u32 match ip src 10.0.0.0/24 match ip dst 10.0.0.0/24 flowid 1:11.

How can I implement this in ZeroShell?

Thanks.

ppalias

Remove QoS on the internal interface, there is no point in regulating the bandwidth of a 100Mbps connection.

SupaJ

@ppalias wrote:

Remove QoS on the internal interface, there is no point in regulating the bandwidth of a 100Mbps connection.

I take your point. As a matter of fact many QoS references say that there is no need to to do any shaping on ingress traffic. Once your egress(upload) traffic is not free, things should work well. However there are times when one might need to put a cap on certain ingress traffic and by disabling QoS on the internal adapter this would not be possible. There must be a way for me to access ZeroShell at full LAN speed and have QoS enable and functioning properly on the internal adapter. The question is how?

AtroposX

How about using a third nic for management. Dual nics for qos-bridge, then the third for management, simple.

ppalias

There are other ways to save your internal bandwidth from starvation due to a QoS applied on the internal interface.
    First of all you can remove the QoS on the internal interface and limit the application on the external interface. Maybe you will have to limit the ACKs and not the actual packets of the specific flow, but it will do.
    Secondly you may reserve some bandwidth for management purposes.
    If you don’t want to remove the QoS from the internal interface, at least raise the bandwidth of the inside interface and add a class for the management traffic.

SupaJ

@ppalias wrote:

First of all you can remove the QoS on the internal interface and limit the application on the external interface.

How is this done? i.e. Limit download traffic on the external interface?

ppalias

I explained it on the very next sentence. By limiting the ACK rate you can slow down a download.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.