QoS Captive Portal

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking QoS Captive Portal

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  diviesh 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

diviesh

Hi All,

I am using zeroshell as a managment gateway for student halls.

I would like to control the bandwith the users get on their connections to be able to distribute the broadband connection speeds evenly.

What i have found that if one or two students go wild downloading then the whole sites connection runs very slowly.

What would be the easiest way to control this, manage bandwith and how do i go out about setting it all up.

Regards

Diviesh

ppalias

You could try that with QoS, by allowing a specific amount of bandwidth for each individual student.

diviesh

How do i use QoS to limit individual users bandwith, do you have some simple instructions to follow instructions

ppalias

You classify users based on their IP address. So you classify the source IP. This is the easiest I can think of. Alternatively you can try the MAC source classifying.

diviesh

Hi Sorry about this

But i am very new to QoS and Zeroshell could you give me some sort of walk through if that is possible

thanks in advance

ppalias

First of all read the documentation and if you still have questions you can ask them here.

diviesh

I had a look at that but was a little concerned about changing to bridge mode will the captive portal still work??

superwisp

I would recommend dedicated bandwidth management tools.

I have been used MyQoS in wireless environment for more than 3 years, and it provides automatic management to throttle p2p users:
    If any IP address has averaged more than 256Kb/s for the last 60 minutes, set the profile on that IP to reduce usage for 15 minutes.

It provides 2Mb/s license for free, you could get it at http://www.myqos.net

ppalias

@diviesh wrote:

I had a look at that but was a little concerned about changing to bridge mode will the captive portal still work??

Nevermind about bridge mode. Stick to the QoS tutorial.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.