Problems with sata raid controller in a dell PE 1950

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Problems with sata raid controller in a dell PE 1950

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  longtimelistner 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m using a dell PE 1950 server that has 2 SAS drives run by an internal controller. It boots and runs fine from the CD-rom. I can copy the img from a flash drive to the drives. but when booting from the HDD i’m getting the probing issue.
    After copying to /dev/sda then rebooting. I can do an fdsik -l and the results show me 3 partitions.
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda3

I have reconfigured the raid for 0 and 1, along with deleting and recreating a new virtual drive.

Any ideas as to what I can try to get this solved?

ppalias

Could you please elaborate as I don’t understand what the problem is exactly?
    Is the ZS not working when you boot from HDD? Is the RAID not working? Is something wrong with the partitions?

I would like to run ZS from the HDDs in the server. I can load and run ZS from the CD img successfully.
    When I insert the thumb drive and mount it. Then proceed to install it on the raid partition. Then try to launch I get the issue where it probes for the USB/SATA like 9 times then fails.

The server has 2 SAS drives that are raid 1 with a single virtual drive of 146gb and it is recognizable as /dev/sda.

I can run the .gz and it appears to install it fine. When I fdisk-l i get 3 partitions that the install evidently creates.
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda3
    After running through the install process and rebooting with no disk or thumb drive, that is when I get the error. It does no load past probing for drives.

ppalias

Most likely the kernel image of ZS doesn’t include the drivers for your sata controler or raid controler. Fulvio could acknowledge this. Anyway the quickest way to resolve this is to recompile the kernel on your own. Do a search in this forum, compiling the kernel has been discussed again. Otherwise there is no problem running ZS from the cd and using the hard drives or the usb stick to store the config and the logs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.