Problem with BONDing and Netbalancer and QoS

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Problem with BONDing and Netbalancer and QoS

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  good14you 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

good14you

Hello! For the past couple of weeks I have been noticing that our internet access has been slowing with each day. When I finally starting pocking around our ZS I noticed that we are only going out via one of our three Internet uplinks even though I have a BOND established for the three VPNs that have been created out of each ETH link. So, here is my setup:

ETH0 = internal network
    ETH01 = 2mb up/down Internet Link
    ETH02 = 2mb up/down Internet Link
    ETH03 = 6 mb down 500K up Internet Link (DSL)

I’ve also established three VPS:

VPN00 using ETH0 as gateway, VPN01 using ETH01 as gateway, and VPN02 using ETH03 as gateway.

I created a BOND using VPN00, VPN01 and VPN02. I have disabled Netbalancer. When I look at the monitoring to see what traffic is going out, all that is going out is the traffic where the default gateway is pointing to in the Router part of the config, in this case the Internet Link ETH01.

My questions are:
    1…:: Can I use BOND and Netbalancer and QoS all at the same time?
    2…:: When I use ONLY netbalancer, it seems to throw traffic out via all three interfaces, BUT traffic is really slow from the clients. If I use only one Internet Link it is a lot faster than all three through netbalancer.
    3…:: Do I assign an IP address to the BOND? If so, should it be an internal address or an external (real) IP? What type of IP address should it be?
    4…:: Can I BOND three different-speed links together, or would it be better to BOND the two similar links and leave the third one off? I would hate to waste the third one since we pay for it monthly anyways.

All I want is to get the fastest access to the Internet as possible. Can you give me an example of the fastest configuration of ZS if I have one internal network 172.16.8.0/255.255.248.0, and three internet uplinks each with the internal address of 100.0.0.2, 101.0.0.2, and 102.0.0.2 respectively.

Thank you for all your help, and for supporting such a great product!

ppalias

1) No, due to a problem Netbalancer and QoS don’t work together. If you bond the vpns there is no point in netbalancing them too.

2) Maybe they are trying to access the dns server of one ISP via the link of another. Maybe it is because QoS is not working along with Netbalancer, so you suffer from downloaders.

3) Yes you do assign an IP on the BOND and use it as default gateway for the internet. It could be either public or private, usually there is no need for public IP.

4) You have to be aware that the slower link (on the upstream) will slow down the other 2, as it will not be able to send packets with the same rate as the other 2.

good14you

Thanks for your response pp….. I have done away with most of what I had setup and started from scratch, so here it goes……

So here is my setup so far:

ETH0 – local lan (172.16.8.10)
    ETH01 – Internet I (100.0.0.1) same speed as ETH02
    ETH02 – Internet II (101.0.0.1) same speed as ETH01
    ETH03 – Internet III (102.0.0.1) different speed

I created VPN for ETH01 and ETH02 since they are of the same speed. I created a BOND with those two VPNs created.

I assigned the BOND the IP 105.0.0.5/255.255.255.0 and set it as the gateway.

I figure I could use the third Internet link for other things…..

After doing this, I lose connectivity altogether to the Internet.

I have disabled QoS and Netbalancer.

What should I have on my router settings? I feel I am missing something that is just as simple as a period at the end of a sentence.

ppalias

You assign the wrong gateway address. Since BOND has IP 105.0.0.5/24 then your gateway should be the IP of the other BOND endpoint of the VPNs, e.g. 105.0.0.4/24

good14you

PP, where do I assign that other end-point IP to the VPNs? I got lost with this one. I have not assigned anything to the VPNs, should I? So each VPN will have an IP, or which IP do I choose?

Yes, I’m a bit lost on this one.

Thanks again for your help.

ppalias

Each VPN must have a pair of IPs, one for your side, one for the other. Same applies for the BOND of the VPNs.
    Eventually you define as gateway the IP address of the remote BOND. All is done in the System-Setup-Network and Network-Router-Default Gateway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.