Priority vs DSCP

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jtaylor 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jtaylor

Hi all,

I would like to use ZS to prioritise traffic going out of our internet connection.

The outbound traffic arrives at the ZS instance already tagged with DSCP flags, which are set by internal routers (on the internal side of ZS)

I have been looking at how I can enable ZS to use these DSCP flags to prioritise that traffic as it passes out of our internet connection (the PPP0 interface on the ZS instance).

It looks like I need to setup each DSCP class that the internal routers are using in the ‘Class Manager’, which is fine.

My question is, when I setup each of the DSCP classes in the Class Manager, I have to pick a Priority of Low, Medium or High – but isn’t the priority already determined by the DSCP class of the packet?

What I mean is, can ZS prioritise packets based on the full range of DSCP classes, or do I have to group them into Low, Medium and High?

Hope this makes sense.

Any help much appreciated!

James

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Really I have not test if the Linux Kernel when forwarding packets look at the DSCP field. You should set an environment for testing.
    Regards
    Fulvio

jtaylor

Thanks Fulvio, I’ve been reading up on it and will do some experiments when I get some more time.

Will post the results here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.