PPPoE needs bridge?

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking PPPoE needs bridge?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Eliminateur 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Eliminateur

i’m setting up a ZS box with:
    1) ETH0 LAN
    2) ETH1 “WAN” connected to my ADSL modem in bridge mode
    3) PPP0 Interface with the PPPoE login details

do i need to bridge EHT0-PPP0 for internet to work?, when creating the ppp interface i checked the NAT and defgault gateway, it should work this way…

another question, i need to access the webadmin of the modem from LAN(i’ve setup the ETH1 ip accordingly), do i need to open FORWARD firewall rules? bridge eth0 and 1?, create a NAT rule?

any ideas?, i find that zeroshell uses a very different way of doing things that i’m accustomed in other firewalls

ppalias

No, no need for bridging ETH00 and ppp0, just enable NAT on ppp0.

Regarding the web management I don’t think that it works over a ppp-enabled interface.

Eliminateur

that worries me as access to the modem is one of the main things i’m going to ZS for….

ppalias

If the modem has more than 1 LAN ports then you could bridge the ATM and a LAN port so that you can connect it on the ETH01 of ZS, and the rest of the LAN ports can be used as normal ports for switching and management of the modem on ETH00.

atheling

I am doing this on my Zeroshell setup but am using ETH00 to do it (ETH01 is my other ISP with ETH02, ETH03 and ETH04 being internal networks).

My DSL modem/router uses its default 192.168.1.1/24 address for management. I have configured Zeroshell’s ETH00 as 192.168.1.10/24 with NAT so you can access the DSL modem/router at 192.168.1.1.

On the DSL modem/router I have configured it to bridge ATM to Ethernet.

On Zeroshell I have created PPP0 and set it up to use ETH00 for PPPoE.

Zeroshell handles the PPP session with the ISP. I can access the DSL modem via a web browser for any management issues.

I believe that the original question asked about an equivalent setup, so yes it is possible.

Eliminateur

many thanks atheling, it’s just the problem i was facing!

ppalias

Nice, I’ll try it too!

Eliminateur

indeed i confirm the findings, putting the ETH01 interface to the NAT as well i was able to access the modem webadmin, no other rule needed

jimmyz

Took me awhile to find this thread, but it answers all my questions that I had in my first post. Can’t wait to give Atheling’s config a try. 🙂

Heathy

@atheling wrote:

I am doing this on my Zeroshell setup but am using ETH00 to do it (ETH01 is my other ISP with ETH02, ETH03 and ETH04 being internal networks).

My DSL modem/router uses its default 192.168.1.1/24 address for management. I have configured Zeroshell’s ETH00 as 192.168.1.10/24 with NAT so you can access the DSL modem/router at 192.168.1.1.

On the DSL modem/router I have configured it to bridge ATM to Ethernet.

On Zeroshell I have created PPP0 and set it up to use ETH00 for PPPoE.
    Zeroshell handles the PPP session with the ISP. I can access the DSL modem via a web browser for any management issues.

I believe that the original question asked about an equivalent setup, so yes it is possible.

@eliminateur wrote:

indeed i confirm the findings, putting the ETH01 interface to the NAT as well i was able to access the modem webadmin, no other rule needed

Thanks for this, this is exactly what I wanted to do to be able to access the Web GUIs on my pair of Vigor 120 DSL modems through my ZS. (the bit I was missing was setting my ETH02/ETH03 interfaces to NAT as well as the associated ppp0/ppp1interfaces).

For clarity, I have this configuration:

ETH01 – LAN
    ETH02/ppp0 – ADSL1
    ETH03/ppp1 – ADSL2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.