OpenVPN PPTP and L2TP

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell OpenVPN PPTP and L2TP

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Tox 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tox

Hi All

This is my first post, I did a Google search and found this Site and Wow what you have done here is a great job craating ZeroShell congratulations for such good work !

Its so good to know you have support for OpenVPN, I am a little confuse about the OpenVPN that ZeroShell offer does it support:

Host-to-lan VPN with PPTP protocol (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol), MPPE (Microsoft Point to Point Encryption) and GRE tunneling at this time?

Notice that is say:

The following features will be available in the near future and included in the release 1.0.0:

Arpwatch monitor for monitoring ARP events on the LAN such as duplication of IP addresses, flip-flops and other faults;
    Host-to-lan VPN with PPTP protocol (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol), MPPE (Microsoft Point to Point Encryption) and GRE tunneling.

Checking the download section notice that:

1.0.beta10 is the current release, does this current release support the above Host-to-lan VPN with PPTP protocol (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol), MPPE (Microsoft Point to Point Encryption) and GRE tunneling ?

I want to implement this solution so that some of our remote workers are allowed to connect to the OpenVPN Server in a secure way and then if needed browse the web, lots of my remote workers connect from Hotels, WiFi Hot Spots and in times sensitive information is transmited so we want to have this information secure using a VPN connection with PPTP or L2TP would be great if this solution supports both of them.

Can you guys please let em know if the current release supports this conection types? thank you.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Hi,
    at the moment Zeroshell supports:

-OpenVPN for LAN-to-LAN Virtual Private Network with TAP virtual interfaces;
    -OpenVPN for Host-to-LAN VPN with Kerberos 5 authentication (included Active Directory), RADIUS (PAP, PEAP MS-Chapv2 and EAP-TTLS) and X.509 authentication;
    – L2TP/IPSec host-to-LAN authenticated by using the local RADIUS.

I am not sure if Zeroshell supports PPtP VPN protocol.

Regards
    Fulvio

Tox

Hi Fulvio

Thank you for your reply, I am going to do some testing with ZeroShell and PPTP, as far with L2TP I really dont see any problems, I will run some testing and let you know how it goes, keep up the great job congratulations.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

PPTP does not work at the moment and I am not sure if I will include it in the future.

Regards
    Fulvio

Tox

Fulvio

Thank you for your reply, I been checking and it does seem that openvpn does not support PPTP, all is done trough SSL, add support for PPTP will be a lot of work lots of code to add and totally understand your point of view on not supporting PPTP in the future, basically all I wanted this solution for was for remote access (Secure Remote Access) not only to resources in the internal network but also for secure Internet Web browsing, thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.