Open VM Tools downloadable module

Home Page Forums Network Management Request a new feature Open VM Tools downloadable module

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  gordonf 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

gordonf

In case there are licensing problems with this VMware Tools hack, it might be better to use the Open VM Tools Project to build a support module that can be downloaded from the Package Manager.

From what I read, the Open VM Tools source includes drivers for the most common emulated hardware, including vmxnet3, which would provide 10Gbit virtual NICs for VM hosts that have real ones. These are all apparently GPLv2 or LGPLv2 licensed, avoiding questions about ensuring ZS stays open source. VMware doesn’t even want anyone calling it “VMware Tools” if compiled from this source, as “VMware Tools” apparently still has some proprietary components where Open VM Tools does not.

Unfortunately I’m a Windows admin and have my hands full working. I attempted Linux From Scratch once, but that’s it. I’m not qualified to attempt this.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.