Newbie needs a helping start – WAN configuration

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking Newbie needs a helping start – WAN configuration

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  voxmagna 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

voxmagna

Hi, this is my first post. I am not good at networking and better at hardware, but my aim is to get a laptop working as a test router to my fiber ISP simple setup. Then add Open VPN routing to my VPN service provider, evaluate the Intel Atom for wired speed throughput/power consumption with VPN encryption, then consider adding a wifi AP and moving to mini ITX if it all works. The laptop has a USB NIC fitted for the second Ethernet in my setup

I’ve configured the LAN side on the external USB NIC ETH01 because it’s 1000BaseT
    I have a fiber modem on a 40Mb service but could go to 60Mb/s.
    The web GUI is up on 10.99.122.1
    The DHCP is running o.k on the LAN interface ETH01.
    DNS entries are o.k

My problem is configuring the WAN on ETH00. The PPPoe interface is showing authenticated and ‘connected’ as follows: inet addr:**.208.106.205 P-t-P:195.166.128.191 (PPPoE: ETH00).

But I don’t know how to configure the IP for the WAN on ETH00. It is not static and I can see that the PPPoe interface ip’s change after each authentication or Zs reboot. I can force a temporary connection by entering the destination IP from the PPPo interface (e.g 195.166.128.1) as the WAN IP address.

I would appreciate some help because I thought the WAN NIC should be working in ‘auto discover’ mode, but I don’t see an option on the Zs screen. 🙁 🙁

I enabled NAT on the PPP0e interface, but I’m not sure if NAT should be enabled for the others.

I’m not looking for added features or security yet. I would just like to get a working route from a desktop via a laptop running Zs to the internet via a fiber modem.

Something else puzzling me is I see a lot of entries for the firewall when looking on the Zs monitor output, but nothing replicated on the GUI web screen?

voxmagna

OK, I think I am in the ‘last chance saloon’ for Zs on this now:

From what I have read, my ETH00 WAN interface does not need a fixed IP address assigned if it is bound to PPPoe and my ISP provides a Dynamic IP.

I reconfigure the PPPoe interface with my DSL username, Password then reboot/refresh Zs.

After about 30 seconds I get a PPPoe connection with inet and p-t-p addresses given. I ping an external web URL from the ETH01 LAN side and get a good result.

Then I reboot Zs (simulated mains fail!) with the DSL modem still connected and get PPPoe connected, but cannot ping the same URL. (no web browsing).

Then I hit PPPoe Configure/Save/refresh. The inet and P-T-P addresses change and I can now ping the URL.

So please help! Why does my PPPoe to ETH00 WAN binding appear to be lost and not automatically refreshing after a Zs reboot?

whitesun

On the Ppoe configuration screen it says to configure the connection on the net balancer.

Please try this and let me know how it works out:
    Goto net balancer and configure your connection and on the fail over monitor make sure the Immediately restart ppoe and 3g is set to yes. Make sure you set at least 1 failover IP so it will have a site to check. I use Google DNS server 8.8.8.8

Good luck,

Joe

@whitesun wrote:

On the Ppoe configuration screen it says to configure the connection on the net balancer.

Please try this and let me know how it works out:
    Goto net balancer and configure your connection and on the fail over monitor make sure the Immediately restart ppoe and 3g is set to yes. Make sure you set at least 1 failover IP so it will have a site to check. I use Google DNS server 8.8.8.8

Good luck,

Joe

By using of Google DNS is not a permanent solution could get.Sometime it does not work well..

Article Rewriter Tool

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.