Netbalancer stalling with multiple gateways, gets confused

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Netbalancer stalling with multiple gateways, gets confused

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  AussieWISP 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

AussieWISP

Unless I set balancing rules for each pc connected to ZS and tell ZS which gateway to direct traffic, it seems that ZS gets ‘confused’ and doesn’t know where to send the traffic and just ‘stalls’ I have two 20Mb fibre and two 8Mb adsl, at one stage I only had the two adsl lines and it was fine, then it just started stalling. have I blown a head gasket??? I am using Mikrotik for authentication and radius server and am thinking maybe for load balancing also but the jury’s still out on that.

atheling

Stock net balancing has some issues. First it is incompatible with QoS in its use of packet tagging, second it doesn’t set up connection information for in-bound originated traffic (if you have a server on your LAN). Third, the net balance script basically resets the routing cache every time it runs so if you have https traffic it won’t stick to one interface. There may be other issues, but I’d have to go look at the patch to refresh my memory.

I did a patch for beta 12 to address those issues and none of the files it touches were changed for beta 13 so it can be cleanly applied there. Reports are that it runs on beta 14 too but some of the files touched have been changed between beta 13 and 14.

The patch was submitted to Fulvio for consideration but he did not release it in beta 13 or beta 14.

I am hoping to dig myself free of accumulated chores and get some time to upgrade my Zeroshell system to beta 14 and update the patch for it too. Maybe in the next few weeks…

In the meantime, I can point you to the beta12 patch if you’d like to try it to see if it helps in your situation. And it sounds like you have a good setup for helping identify problems in that area so when I get around to updating the patch for beta 14 I might try to enlist you as a tester.

AussieWISP

Sounds like a good way to go. I can downgrade to beta12 and apply your recommended patch, as many details about how to install would be great too.

As this is a commercial environment, should I be testing another balancer, maybe loadbalancer for vmare (as my server runs vmware) or mikrotik.

I am also researching the best firewall solution and have been advised either pfsense or mikrotik, but to be honest I started with ZS as I thought it could do it all.

atheling

@aussiewisp wrote:

… but to be honest I started with ZS as I thought it could do it all.

I’ve sent you an email with a link to the patch.

I started with ZS for the same reason. The number of open source router products that actually seem to do QoS and load balancing over multiple WAN links was very small when I did my survey a year or two ago. And you get into some serious money when you look at commercial products that claim to do it well.

I will admit to being pleasantly surprised about functionality that I did not care about when doing my initial research. For example, I am now using ZS’s Radius server to allow my WiFi network to work in WPA Enterprise mode. Even though I’m only using this for a small office environment it does make managing visitors quite easy: Just add them to the directory with their own password when they arrive then drop the entry when no longer needed. Remaining WiFi clients need not touched when removing a no longer desired WiFi client and everything is still secure.

AussieWISP

I have done a fresh install of beta12 with your patch. I am baffled as to why netbalancer stalls and just decide which gateway to send the traffic. The only settings I have configured is the eth0,1,2 and the gateways and net balancer, no other rules. Oh and NAT on ETH2 & 3. It was only 2 weeks ago that ZS only had two 8Mb adsl connections and somehow bonded them to give a speedtest.net result of 12Mb, which I though was not possible.

micampo

Hi, I can send the link mentioned in Atheling ZS FORUM

if you did well with the change?
    I would like to know more details?
    beta12 does not have the problems of security and stability?

Thanks for your help

atheling

The link for the old version of the patch is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_qos.zip

There is a problem with recovery when more than one WAN link fails. Actually I think it is a problem when all WAN links fail, but I have only two WAN links so I can’t actually test for the two conditions separately.

I have been working on a new patch to fix the multiple/all WAN link failure and last night for the first time it passed my first set of ad hoc testing. The link for that patch is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_qos_b12_b.zip

My plan is to continue testing this until the weekend (I only get a small window each day when I can break WAN links). If all goes well, I will then migrate to beta 14 and try the version of this patch I have in that code branch…

I can’t say how long I’ll leave the patches available through the above links but it should be for at least a week or so.

micampo

Please install procedure?,
    I proves (I have 4 lines) and I will tell you if it works

Greetings

atheling

@micampo wrote:

Please install procedure?,
    I proves (I have 4 lines) and I will tell you if it works

Greetings

Per my reply to you in other thread, instructions are in the .zip file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_qos_b14_a.zip

AussieWISP

many days spent, ZS still not load balancing, could it be an issue with running it on vmware? I have used the iso both beta12 and 14. Am now attempting the vmware version but first attempts have failed. I think I’m about $5k away from buying a hardware load balancer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.