Missing source code

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Missing source code

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  schoopy 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

schoopy

Dear Fulvio,

In an attempt to rebuild the zeroshell operating system not from LFS but rather from a Tiny Gentoo, I am experiencing problem due to missing source code.
    Indeed, some application are yours and unfortunately do not come as static.
    So far I was able to get away from C++ and manage to use uclibc and busybox to considerably limit size, but I would need either the source code from render, kerbynet and any other not tested so far, that are not directly available on the net.
    I understand that this is your IP, hence I could get away provided they were static.
    Could you help on that one.
    I could as well send you the chroot environment so that you could build them with correct links.
    By the way do you really need C++, relying only on uclibc would be great!

Cheers

Schoopy

zevlag

I’m interested in this project.

Any details on this Fulvio?

schoopy

Hi all,

I am back with the idea of a development platform. I tried going the hard way in the past and following Fulvio LFS method but this is rather annoying and will not be manageable in the long term.
    So at last I give it a try with Tiny Gentoo. This looks good so far except for the configuration and the way ZeroShell boots but one can go through it nevertheless.
    The good thing is that gentoo takes care of the compiling, using the latest version if one wants and all this done through keywords.
    Therefore it is rather easy to have it all work with

uclibc
      busybox
      ipv6
      latest kernel

Moreover it can provide packaging in the form of compressed tar files, which I used to create the final directory containing all the file for the new ZeroShell.
    What I do is having a package list of the thing to be installed in a specified directory, adding excludes to remove unwanted files such as headers, static libraries, gentoo stuff, etc.
    Then I merge Fulvio’s specific data such as the root directory and the boot scripts.

The idea is to have a vmware image that runs a gentoo system rather simple but still able to add packages and have scripts creating the new directory ZeroShell that can be tested under a chroot.
    For the time being we will have to rely upon no real boot and partition mounting but everything else should allowed to be tested.

Do not be fooled , there are still plenty of things to do but I am a bit stuck by some dependencies within the template configuration files. Indeed, some applications are not given source code and furthermore, they depend on C++.
    Although I tested providing the shared libraries (names do not conflict with uclibc) taken from ZeroShell standard image but this results in segfault.
    So far it seems there is a little issue between uclibc and libstdc++ but I think it is rather easy to circumvent.
    Ideally I would go without C++, possibly rewriting some code such as kerbynet and render, others may exist as well.

borland

I am interested in this also. No news yet?

schoopy

I figured the problem with libstdc++ since we should not need 3.3.6 version compatibility. But nevertheless, I am lock since using different libraries than the actual deployed executables. As long as we do not get the source code of some executables, I will not be able to keep on adapting the scripts. I could of course go back to glib but that is a pity when the goal is to be embedded as much as possible.

For those interested, there could be an interesting thing to do. Deploy a Gentoo Overlay portage with new ebuilds to match Fulvio’s paths in Zeroshell. I have not gone that way due to some lack of experience in ebuilds, but this could be an elegant way of providing a follow up for ZeroShell. I noticed that some new comers are asking about the long term evolution of ZeroShell.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.