Low performance using wireless

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Low performance using wireless

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  tdoln 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tdoln

Hi
    I have setup zeroshell beta 11 like a commercial wireless router.

Wan(100MBit)< ->zeroshell (nat+dhcp server)<>wpa psk 54MBit

The problem is performance. From wpa I only get about 3Mbit . Usually with my commercial I get about 20MBit.
    System is build around a small VIA motherboard running at 1300Mhz. Have half a gig ram.
    Wan side VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78), 100MBit FD
    Wireless Atheros AR5212 5213
    CPU mean value is about 0,06%
    RF signal is good and running at link speed 54MBit

I have tried booting up with noACPI but there is no difference.

Has anyone got a clue why my performance is so low?

teazeroshell

Your problem could be a couple of things.

1. The first thing you need to do is benchmark your wireless. Run it in both WPA and OPEN and see what your through put is. You can have a great signal and everything else, but you also could have a bunch of FCS errors. Usually that is caused by overpowering your radio.

2. I have run into this situation many times. I work for a large wifi manufacture and I have seen it come down to be as simple as being a cable with one strand being loose and causing allot of packet errors. just do a quick bench mark on each of your cables to quickly take them out of the equation

3. You need to use a network sniffer (on the lan Wireshark is good and Omni peak personal is a basic one for wireless, and both are free) and see what is all being passed around. There could be a bottle neck somewhere on the network and the packets should tell you what is going on.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.