losing communication with modem

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell losing communication with modem

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  retrofit 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

retrofit

I have been using zeroshell for a while. I don’t really know much about it and I am not very proficient at networking, but it has been working well and i like having all of these amazing features, even if I don’t use them. Recently, I setup a second SSID, throttled it down to 500kb/s using QoS, configured a second DHCP range on a different subnet, and configured the firewall to drop all packets originating from one interface, and bound for the other.

The idea of all of this was to provide a guest network, that would allow visitors to use the internet without disrupting my traffic or accessing any of my machines. Since then I have been experiencing trouble. ZS seems to be losing its connection to the modem. When this happens I cannot access the internet. All of my internal traffic is fine. I can fix it by logging into ZS, and renewing the IP address of the modem facing interface. I am not sure what is causing this, but I would love to get it resolved.

The hardware is an old P3 coppermine @1GHz with 512MB RAM.

retrofit

Just an update. I have noticed that this problem seems to show up during periods of inactivity. I have added this line:

ping -i 60 google.com &

to the startup script. I don’t know if it will solve the problem, but I will continue to post updates here, in the hope that it will be helpful to others.

retrofit

did not work.

retrofit

Trying it again. This time I have modified a script that will call dhclient when a ping fails. I have used cron to run this every minute.

retrofit

success!

The script uses ping to test the connect and if the test fails it calls dhclient. I scheduled to run every minute with cron. Two days have passed without a problem. This is really more of a work-around than a fix, but it’s good enough for now.

Thanks to everyone who helped create this fine product. I hope these posts help someone.

Yhoni

@retrofit wrote:

success!

The script uses ping to test the connect and if the test fails it calls dhclient. I scheduled to run every minute with cron. Two days have passed without a problem. This is really more of a work-around than a fix, but it’s good enough for now.

Thanks to everyone who helped create this fine product. I hope these posts help someone.

Thank you very much for the information and your work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.