Load balancer failover fail to work with PPPOE – IPv6 bridge

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Load balancer failover fail to work with PPPOE – IPv6 bridge

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  olivier1010 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

olivier1010

I’ve discovered today a small bug with the load balancer when used with a PPPOE interface.

After a ethernet link down, or a PPPOE session down, the status of the gateway link stay at “Fault”.

I need to manually issue a PPPOE down in the interface list, and up.

Then the status is updating and the gateway take back his role.

I have to say that i’m using a supplementary interface ETh interface to be able to access the local IP of the modem for configuration purpose. (eth interface with an IP + nat so that we can access the modem web interface). Perhaps this does cause problems with the load balancer status system ?

You will say me wy am i using PPPOE, when we can do it in the router.

Well; because it is mandatory to use PPPOE from the router to get Ipv6, when your provider give you IPv6 as a second pppoe session.

As almost no modem on the market is IPv6 compliant, there is no other solution to get a native IPv6 connection from a consumer grade modem than controling PPPOE from the router.

Getting IPv6 from a PPPoe session is very simple, there is just a “,” to add in the pppoe config file.

Then we can do a bridge between the pppoe interface and the lan interfaces to distribute IPv6 in the network :

Create the bridge :

brctl addbr br0
    ifconfig br0 up

Adding interfaces to the bridge :

brctl addif br0 eth0
    brctl addif br0 ppp0

Then restrict the bridge to IPv6 :

ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -p ! ipv6 -j DROP

Then add radvd deamon on the router to advertise the /64 or /48 IPv6 prefix your provider gave you to the LAN machines, so that they can autoconfigure with an IPv6 adress.

Olivier.

meaje

Anyone have a take on whether or not radvd is available in the current version (3.3.x)? If so can I push an IPv6 routed subnet out to clients, or do I need to install a major OS like Red Hat, or CentOS, possibly even Debian / Ubuntu for routing an IPv6 subnet. I would prefer not to have to create one hell of a lot of custom code to handle the Captive Portal for which I would prefer to use an off the shelf / already existing solution.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Means

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.