Limit pps per src or dst

Home Page Forums Network Management Request a new feature Limit pps per src or dst

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  AtroposX 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

AtroposX

Especially on a wireless network, a host can consume minimal amount of bandwidth, but the packets per second are huge, around 150-250/sec. If there was a way to incorporate perhaps “dstlimit” to limit the amount of pps to a dest or src, this could greatly reduce congestion on the effected network.

I tried “-m limit –limit 2/s –limit-burst 1”, with a particular ip as the dest, and any for a src, to limit the pps for the download, though the log would keep polling bytes, but no change in actual pps usage.

AtroposX

It looks like if in the FW rules you use

1: the host ip as a dst, and in the custom iptables parameters, use “-m limit –limit X/s –limit-burst X”, and choose ACCEPT,
    2: then create a second FW rule under the first of the host ip as dst, and just a basic DROP….

This will accept only the stated pps to the host as a download, or flip-flop it for the upload.

AtroposX

Would it be possible to add this to the web interface such as webmin has at

http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapter19/figure3.gif

… the packet flow rate and burst rate? This is the same as the limit rule i stated earlier, just doesn’t have to be manually entered in the custom iptables field.

AtroposX

In case anyone has wondered how to limit pps per ip in a subnet, using hashlimit is the best bet… i.e:

iptables -A FORWARD -d 192.168.1.0/24 -m hashlimit –hashlimit 30/sec –hashlimit-mode dstip –hashlimit-name hosts -j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -d 192.168.1.0/24 -j DROP

This will accept 30pps/sec for each ip, and drop anything faster after that. Each ip address will have it’s own rule of 30pps, while only creating one iptables rule.

zeeshan

the host ip as a dst, and in the custom iptables parameters, use “-m limit –limit X/s –limit-burst X”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.