Layer 3 Bonding?

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking Layer 3 Bonding?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  surfsup 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

surfsup

Is there any open source stuff or other products out there that lets me use a bond two WAN internet connections? I’ve seen load balancing products, and DSL bonding products at layer2 but I’m interested in Network bonding.

gcams

Hi surfsup,

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “layer 3” bonding?? Layer 3, by it’s very nature, performs load balancing and fail over via standard routing protocols, such as BGP or OSPF.

In order to do this properly, you would need co-operation from your ISP(s) to route down a subnet to your zeroshell device.

It is possible to bond 2 x layer 2 TAP interfaces over 2 x layer 3 VPN’s. By VPNing to a remote host, and using that remote host as your exit point, you can effectively aggregate the bandwidth of the multiple connections.

However I tried doing this using various permutations, over multiple 3G connections and whilst it did work, if one of the connections in the bond fails, it doesn’t fail particularly gracefully.

Not sure if that answers your question, or helps at all?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.