Latest kernel – how to build using new development kit

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Latest kernel – how to build using new development kit

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mattjhaigh 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

mattjhaigh

I have been impressed by Zeroshell. Running on my PCEngines APU2, the software is lightweight and impressive. Thank you to all that have contributed.

I would like to update the Kernel to the latest 64-bit version, 4.8.3 – and noted the arrival of the new development console.

I have downloaded the console, but since I have not rebuilt a kernel before, let alone on an embedded system like the APU, I don’t really know where to start.

Why do I need this?

My understanding is that there was a significant update to the Intel igb drivers – in recent kernels – to improve performance, particularly relating to the receive and transmit queues. The APU board has 3x i210AT interfaces – running igb – and my download and upload rates currently max out at just less than 500mbps. I understand the board is capable of much higher – and the recent release of FreeBSD has patched this.

I would really love to stay with Zeroshell, and use the new kernel, rather than migrate. Given that others would also likely benefit from a quick 101 on kernel rebuild in the new development environment, is someone able to help? I have searched the forum, but I cannot find a good guide to completing the build – especially using the new console.

I thank you in advance and look forward to improving my knowledge of Linux and networking so that this can be shared to help others.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.