lan-to-lan VPN bandwith decrease

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell lan-to-lan VPN bandwith decrease

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Hugo 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hugo

Hi,

I’m using Zeroshell as an alternative to normal routers/gateways/firewalls in a university project and I have to say that I’m delighted with it. I found it to be a great piece of software and much more flexible than any other solution using expensive routers.

My question is about bandwidth loss when using a lan-to-lan VPN.
    I have two PCs (PIII 1000MHZ, 512 MB RAM) with several NICs each acting as gateways of two different sites. Both machines are connected via 100 Mbps Ethernet and I can get an effective bandwidth of 96 Mbps. After that I created a lan-to-lan UDP VPN to connect both PC (through the same ethernet link) and tested for max bandwidth with the following results:

Without VPN

96 Mbps
    Encrypted and compressed VPN

41 Mbps
    Encrypted VPN (no compression)

34 Mbps
    VPN (no compression nor encryption)— 47 Mbps

Are those values acceptable? I didn’t thought that I would notice such a big loss of bandwidth when tunneling the traffic through the VPN.

The CPU usage didn’t went beyond 50% during any of the bandwidth stress tests so I assume that the problem is not related to the machines. All my NICs are 10/100 3Com branded and seem to be working OK.

Thanks in advance for any comment/suggestion.

Keep up the great work Fulvio and friends!

Cheers!

Hugo

still wondering why this is happening… any ideias!?

jogrfe

I have the same problem with vpn agregation.
    I have 2 connections of 100mb but when activating the VPN, the max speed are 40 mb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.