LAN to LAN – using dynamic addresses

Home Page Forums Network Management VPN LAN to LAN – using dynamic addresses

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  petergillett 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

petergillett

I’ve been using the LAN-LAN functions very successfully for some time now using static IP addresses.

I’m considering expanding the network to include a couple of sites that potentially have dynamic addresses.

If I set up a dyndns service and pop that on the zeroshell config (or maybe more sense on the ADSL router/modem) at the dynamic sites can I do a LAN-LAN between eg mysite1.dyndns.org and mysite2.dyndns.org?

If it will, what happens if I reset the router on the dynamic side? That network will get a new IP and re-register the dynamic address with dyndns. Will the other end of the VPN be happy about that and will it recognise the new IP immediately?

It’s not something I can test easily without buying and installing kit and travelling to the remote site and stuff, or having some current dynamic IPs switched to static (not sure of the timeframe my ISP would do this in), so wanted to be sure before I did this.

dr1

the option –float I belive is specified by default, if not that what you want

redfive
    Participant

ppalias

It will work without any problem using a FQDN instead of IP address. When the connection is reseted it might take a while to refresh the IP address on the dynamic dns servers, but that should be less than 5 minutes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.