kernel source and patches

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell kernel source and patches

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  aionica 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

aionica

Hello,
    What patches are there applied to the kernel ? Also where can i find the config file kernel , so if i know the patches and i have the config file i can rebuild the kernel.

Does the kernel for version 1.0.beta10 has the patches for Dead Gateway Detection ?
    The idea is i want to use two internet connections. One to be active and the other one to be used for fail over. Patches available at: http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes

imported_fulvio
    Participant

The Linux Kernel 2.6.25.9 of Zeroshell is just the vanilla Kernel with the L7-Filter and IPP2P patches. I compiled it with Fedora 8.

To obtain the configuration you can use the command zcat as follows:

zcat /proc/config.gz

The next release will include load balancing and failover mechanisms for the routers. I do not think to apply any patch to do them, because I prefer an user space daemon that pings the gateways to checks their state, but, in any case I am going to investigate about the patches you suggest.

Regards
    Fulvio

aionica

Hello,
    Thanks for the details. Also how is the initrd built ? (i’d hate to unpackit, change it and pack it back, maybe you have some scripts or automated way). Does the initrd contain any reference to the kernel ? (modules compiled for the running kernel and located in the initrd, hardcoded paths, etc) ?

Regarding the ping approach please take into account that a) a lot of providers do icmp rate limiting on their routers
    b) if let’s say you are doing traffic at 99% of the capacity of the line then packet loss will appear and you might switch over to the other link though the current one is ok.
    The kernel implementation has it’s disadvantages too like if there is packet loss but still traffic works in both directions with the gateway the the traffic won’t be switched over to the other line ..

Thanks

imported_fulvio
    Participant

At the moment I still manually prepare the initrd which is a gzipped ext2 image (I do not use cpio).

Thanks for the considerations about the failover of the routers. I am going to evaluate the patches for the kernel.

Regards
    Fulvio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.