Kernel Panic

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Kernel Panic

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  alx 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

alx

Hello,
    I have been running zeroshell for almost 1 month and discovered kernel panics every 2-3 days.

The server is an old dell from 2003 with 1 working and 1 dead SCSI drive installed (sda is good and sdb is bad). I havent tested the memory yet but I will do that with memtest86 in a few days to check if there is problem with the memory or not.

I have some questions for the board.

1. Since I cant get zeroshell to install on the SCSI driver, is it safe to run from the live-cd?

2. After the zeroshell has finished loaded the OS, does zeroshell still access the CD from time to time after it has been loaded?

3. We have been thinking to disable the SCSI controller totally in the BIOS and use USB stick to store the Database. Is it possible to do a cp of the DB from the HDD to the USB or do I have to use a special script for that?

Any information is welcome,
    Thanks in advance,
    Alx
    Any information is welcome,
    Thanks in advance,
    Alx

hvgsit
    Participant

We have been running from Live CD and usb drive for 3 years without issue.
    I’d use a good quality drive though and keep a backup via web gui whenever you change config.

We have 5 x connections and 600 computers so a big site.

As long as you use EXT3 for the flash drive you will be fine. If you use fat32 then an unclean shutdown of zs will nuke your config.

The other options is to use VMWare or similar. We have another ZS working under VMware workstation and it’s perfect. By using VMware all modern hardware is supported as older hardware is emulated and passed to ZS. There are premade VMware ZS images to download.

alx

Our server is a Dell PowerEdge 1750.

I have now disable the SCSI controller. For making sure that there isnt a problem with CPU, I have also disable 1 logical cpu (the server is a dual xeon 2.4ghz). The system has 2gb ram installed.

I managed to use the build-in functions in zeroshell to make backup of the profile and restored on usb stick. After the system rebooted, I had to active it and system reboots again. This time, zeroshell now activates the correct profile from the usb stick.

I will update you the board later. If the zeroshell survives the 3 day’s timeframe, then we would be glad to have it in a production environment.

alx

UPDATE:

Our zeroshell has now been running for 7 days without hick ups.

This is good 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.