[Janus / twin Alix2] #5 Partial LDAP backup & restore

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell [Janus / twin Alix2] #5 Partial LDAP backup & restore

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PatrickB 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

PatrickB

Hello.

Today I give you my solution to backup and reload specific parts of the LDAP database of ZS.
    Notably I proceed this way to keep my backup DNS server an exact replica of the prime.
    I explain in post #4 of the series why I prefer to have 2 clone DNS servers rather than a master and slave pair.

The commands ldapsearch, ldapadd, ldapdelete and ldapmodify are available. They enable to extract parts of the data and to update the database with no need to stop anything (unlike slapcat).
    The partial LDIF files can be moved to/from a backup server using RSync (installed in my post #2).

Then I wrote a generic pair of scripts to automate and secure the operations for a given LDAP section. The sections I identified are:

ou: Aliases
    ou: Computers
    ou: DNS
    ou: Group
    ou: Hosts
    ou: Mounts
    ou: NAS
    ou: Netgroup
    ou: Networks
    ou: People
    ou: Protocols
    ou: Radius
    ou: Rpc
    ou: Services

I will mainly talk about DNS: definition of the DNS zone.

In order to get a human manageable LDIF file, for each ‘ou’ key must be chosen an attribute to sort by. For ‘DNS’, the most pertinent is ‘relativeDomainName’:

# janus1, mydomain, lan, DNS, mydomain.lan
    dn: relativeDomainName=janus1,dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan
    objectClass: top
    objectClass: dNSZone
    relativeDomainName: janus1
    zoneName: mydomain.lan
    aRecord: 192.168.xxx.11
    pTRRecord: janus1.mydomain.lan.
    tXTRecord: "MyDomain's LAN Master (prime)"
    hInfoRecord: "Alix 2D13" "Zeroshell"

Extraction from LDAP

At least when run as root, it requires no authentication:

ldapsearch -x -b "ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan" -S relativeDomainName > $ExportFile

Notice that I don’t use the traditional option -u because it generates ‘ufn’ items that would fail the reloading with ldapmodify:

ufn: janus1, mydomain, lan, DNS, mydomain.lan

For the same reason the extraction must be added a filter to comment (or remove) 2 status lines that ldapsearch generates at the end:

# search result
    search: 2
    result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 38
    # numEntries: 37

They cause ldapmodify to say “ldapmodify: no DN specified” and I found that messy, so my solution is:

ldapsearch -x -b "ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan" -S relativeDomainName > $TempExportFile
    cat $TempExportFile | sed -e 's/^((search|result): *[0-9]*)( *Success)* *$/# 13/g' > $TrueExportFile

Then my script pushes the file to the backup server using RSync and even sends an email, using the nail installed too in post #2. But this is out of topic…

Injection into LDAP

In this part I assume that a valid LDIF file was retrieved from the backup server, using RSync again. The goal is to replace completely the corresponding section in the LDAP.

Since I am very prudent, in case the file could be damaged, obsolete (or what else ?), at first my script performs a new extraction of the LDAP section, same ldapsearch as previously. This local backup could then be used to manually repair the mess.

Unlike ldapsearch, the other commands require authentication. From a local script the simple authentication (option -x) suffices:
    – the correct admin_name is “cn=Manager”,
    – the password can be read from “/Database/var/register/system/ldap/rootpw”.

NB: The option -y password_file has a problem, then I rather use -w $(cat password_file).

The option -D is used to introduce the admin_name:

ldapmodify -v -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=lan" -w $(cat password_file) -a -f $NewDataFile

But doing so ldapmodify will not do a subtree replacement, not even a merge, and it will complain about keys already existing. So the result could be messy.

The simplest solution I found is to first delete (recursive mode: option -r) the whole subtree, then inject the replacement subtree.

ldapdelete -v -r -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=lan" -w $(cat password_file) "ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan"

ldap_initialize( )
    deleting entry "ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan"
    deleting children of: ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan
    deleting children of: dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan
    deleting children of: dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan
    deleting children of: relativeDomainName=websvn,dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan
    removing relativeDomainName=websvn,dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan
    relativeDomainName=websvn,dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan removed
    removing dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan
    dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan removed
    removing dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan
    dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan removed
    Delete Result: Success (0)

Then:

ldapmodify -v -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=lan" -w $(cat password_file) -a -f $NewDataFile

adding new entry "relativeDomainName=*,dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan"
    adding new entry "relativeDomainName=@,dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan"
    adding new entry "relativeDomainName=_kerberos,dc=mydomain,dc=lan,ou=DNS,dc=mydomain,dc=lan"

Then my script sends a report email too, but this is out of topic again…

Conclusion

These 2 scripts are both driven by a unique parameter ‘task name’ and are generic thanks to a small shared attribute map:

# TaskName	LdapQueryKey	LdapSortingAttributeName
    #
    DNS ou=DNS relativeDomainName

Of course the sequence of operations is secured with many checks, the preliminary backup file etc.

This way I can easily replicate any change done to my prime server to the backup one, and also keep specific backups on my dedicated backup server 😀
    => This second aspect may interest more people here.

In my next post I will explain how I can (not so) easily run these scripts from the GUI of Zeroshell…

Hope it can help someone.

Ideas for improvements are welcome.

Best regards.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.