Issues Installing ZeroShell to HDD or USB Drive

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Issues Installing ZeroShell to HDD or USB Drive

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  nfldwifi 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

nfldwifi

Hey Guys,

I have been reading up on getting ZeroShell to install on an HDD or USB Drive, and I am having issues.

The error I am getting is as follows:

C:temp>physdiskwrite -u zeroshell.img.gz

physdiskwrite v0.5.1 by Manuel Kasper

Searching for physical drives…

Information for \.PhysicalDrive0:
    Windows: cyl: 7296
    tpc: 255
    spt: 63
    C/H/S: 16383/16/63
    Model: Hitachi HTS721060G9SA00
    Serial number: MPCCN8Y3HPUR4L
    Firmware rev.: MC3OC10H

Information for \.PhysicalDrive1:
    Windows: cyl: 124
    tpc: 255
    spt: 63

Which disk do you want to write? (0..1) 1
    About to overwrite the contents of disk 1 with new data. Proceed? (y/n) y
    Failed to open zeroshell.img.gz – exiting.

C:temp>

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? The current USB drive I am attempting to install to is a 1 gig drive formated as FAT. Not sure if that is the issue since the physdiskwrite appears to be erroring out even before we get to that point.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

nfldwifi

Talk about a case of the “Mondays” and it’s only Saturday. I see the error of my ways, the disk was formatted for FAT. We formatted our disk to RAW, and now it copied like a champ.

Upon boot from the HDD (Western Digital 230GB HDD) we are getting the following error.

kernel panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown-block 1,2

By doing a quick search, not really finding anything that is pointing me in the right direction. Thoughts?

nfldwifi

Ok….So after even more tests, looks like ZC is not compatible with our SATA controller, or our HD is too large? I installed the system on a 1GB flash drive, and all is well.

So, hmm. Any issues with running this system off a flash drive? it doesn’t slow down performance does it? I am guessing not. The only time the system uses or loads from the USB drive is when we reboot the system, correct?

ppalias

If the flash controller is good you won’t have any issues. The flash is read when you boot and when a log is written, which you could disable to save the disk.

nfldwifi

@ppalias wrote:

If the flash controller is good you won’t have any issues. The flash is read when you boot and when a log is written, which you could disable to save the disk.

We do have an HDD in this box as well, is there a way to make all the logs write to the HDD? Ihave not looked into this yet.

ppalias

I am not sure if there is a way through the web gui, but you can always mount the drive and make a symbolic link from /Database/LOG to the HDD.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.