Is Netbalancer/QoS patch included in ZS 0.1b14

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Is Netbalancer/QoS patch included in ZS 0.1b14

This topic contains 35 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mrevjd 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

micampo

You could mount it with the tar extension as ZS not “unzip”.
    I want to do a wget from the server

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_qos_b14_a.tar

thanks

atheling

@micampo wrote:

You could mount it with the tar extension as ZS not “unzip”.
    I want to do a wget from the server

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_qos_b14_a.tar

thanks

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_qos_b14_a.tar.gz

atheling

Yet another patch for net balancing and QoS. Another change to the failover daemon script. With this change my personal setup with one PPPoE and one ETH WAN (both with fixed IP addresses) now successfully recovers from a failure of all WAN links. Your mileage may vary.

Patch is located at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_quo_b14_b.tar.gz

Based on other posts, there are people are experiencing issues with load balancing even with my patch. Just to see if I’m not alone, has my patch worked for anyone? Please post a yes/no and maybe a little about your setup.

Thanks!

mrevjd

So far I have been running 3 production systems using the patches from Atheling and have had no issues. All 3 systems use dual ethernet connections through DMZed ADSL2 routers.

Cheers

atheling

@mrevjd wrote:

So far I have been running 3 production systems using the patches from Atheling and have had no issues. All 3 systems use dual ethernet connections through DMZed ADSL2 routers.

Cheers

Good to hear it is working for you.

Looking at the files in beta 15, it seems that Fulvio still has not incorporated my patch. I’ve got a cut at it, it looks pretty much like the one for beta 14, but will be unable to test it until at least this weekend. Actually, if my bleary eyes are not deceiving me, the beta 15 version of the patch should be exactly the same as the beta 14 version.

mrevjd

@atheling wrote:

@mrevjd wrote:

Cheers

Good to hear it is working for you.

Looking at the files in beta 15, it seems that Fulvio still has not incorporated my patch. I’ve got a cut at it, it looks pretty much like the one for beta 14, but will be unable to test it until at least this weekend. Actually, if my bleary eyes are not deceiving me, the beta 15 version of the patch should be exactly the same as the beta 14 version.

Thats good news that patch should work. I was going to run up the new version in my dev environment this week.

Don’t understand why the patch is not included, its such a great product otherwise.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

In the beta15 all my efforts were for improving the captive portal. Soon I’ll dedicate a release for Kernel upgrading and Netbalancer/Qos improvement and in that case I’ll include the atheling’s patch. I know that many users use it with success so I won’t have any problem to include the patch.

Regards
    Fulvio

DrmCa
    Participant

@atheling wrote:

Yet another patch for net balancing and QoS. Another change to the failover daemon script. With this change my personal setup with one PPPoE and one ETH WAN (both with fixed IP addresses) now successfully recovers from a failure of all WAN links. Your mileage may vary.

Patch is located at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_quo_b14_b.tar.gz

Based on other posts, there are people are experiencing issues with load balancing even with my patch. Just to see if I’m not alone, has my patch worked for anyone? Please post a yes/no and maybe a little about your setup.

Thanks!

In the README there is following:

1. Copy the “Custom” folder and its contents in to your
    Zeroshell router’s /Database directory

How is that done?

It seems that there is an update facility in Zeroshell – is it possible to package this as an update?

atheling

@drmca wrote:

In the README there is following:

1. Copy the “Custom” folder and its contents in to your
    Zeroshell router’s /Database directory

How is that done?

Get the patch on to your Zeroshell box. You can get to the shell prompt on the Zeroshell box and use wget to grab the patch from the URL.

Then use shell commands to uncompress the file and move the contents into the very obvious /Database directory.

@drmca wrote:

It seems that there is an update facility in Zeroshell – is it possible to package this as an update?

I don’t think that the update facility is functional yet. At least Fulvio hasn’t been using it for distributing new beta versions of Zeroshell. And even if it were, you probably would not want a potentially untrusted third party like me being able to insert my changes directly into an official update path.

So as it stands now, the patch is for people knowledgeable enough or desperate enough to want to jump through some hoops. 🙂

atheling

For those who care about the net balancing and QoS patch but want to run beta 15, it looks like the none of the files the patch touches have changed since beta 14:

$ git checkout nb_qos_b15
    Switched to branch 'nb_qos_b15'
    $ git diff --name-only master HEAD
    README
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/failoverd
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_initrules
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_makerule
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_start
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_viewchain
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_fw
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_setautomarking
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_testfo
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/routeupd
    makepatch
    $ git checkout master
    Switched to branch 'master'
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/failoverd
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_initrules
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_makerule
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_start
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_viewchain
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_fw
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_setautomarking
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_testfo
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/routeupd
    $

So you should be able to apply the previously published patch for beta 14 onto your new beta 15 installation. I won’t be able to test this for myself for another few days, so you are on your own.

Previously published URL for the patch is still good, but I’ve just put another up with the typographic error in the patch name corrected at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_qos_b14_b.tar.gz

From the sound of it, Fulvio will be releasing another beta shortly with the patch included.

DrmCa
    Participant

For the patch to work does ZS have to be installed onto HDD?
    Is there any way to add it to ISO image as I run from CD?

atheling

@drmca wrote:

The patch installs in the /Database area of the file system which is saved in the data associated with the “Profile” you are running. So if you save the profile, you are also saving the patch.

DrmCa
    Participant

@atheling wrote:

@drmca wrote:

The patch installs in the /Database area of the file system which is saved in the data associated with the “Profile” you are running. So if you save the profile, you are also saving the patch.

Hi Atheling,

Thank you for detailed instructions, once I realized that it installs into profile it went like a breeze!

It sounds like your patch is working, at least behaviour is different from what I’ve observed under vanilla b14.

What is same: multi-segment xfer where all segments start at the same time still only reaches capacity of a single DSL line – 534 KB/s.

What has changed: previously only a handful of very first connections was load-balanced, with your patch that continues for a few minutes already. I have started and stopped a dozen xfers with Firefox addon DownThemAll which allows to add and remove segments and it looks like your patch added stability to the Net Balancer.

If I start d/l from more than 1 machine on the LAN, they d/l at virtually 2x capacity of a single DSL line, which is perfect!

Edit: Stable load balancing of connections started from different computers or from the same computer, but staggered by a few seconds, continues until now.
    This patch still can be improved to handle simultaneously opened connections, but it is already a very good change.

Lyron

@atheling wrote:

For those who care about the net balancing and QoS patch but want to run beta 15, it looks like the none of the files the patch touches have changed since beta 14:

$ git checkout nb_qos_b15
    Switched to branch 'nb_qos_b15'
    $ git diff --name-only master HEAD
    README
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/failoverd
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_initrules
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_makerule
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_start
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_viewchain
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_fw
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_setautomarking
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_testfo
    kerbynet.cgi/scripts/routeupd
    makepatch
    $ git checkout master
    Switched to branch 'master'
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/failoverd
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_initrules
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_makerule
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_start
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_viewchain
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_fw
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_setautomarking
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_testfo
    $ git diff HEAD^ HEAD -- kerbynet.cgi/scripts/routeupd
    $

So you should be able to apply the previously published patch for beta 14 onto your new beta 15 installation. I won’t be able to test this for myself for another few days, so you are on your own.

Previously published URL for the patch is still good, but I’ve just put another up with the typographic error in the patch name corrected at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663978/ZS_nb_qos_b14_b.tar.gz

From the sound of it, Fulvio will be releasing another beta shortly with the patch included.

Hello, I´m new here at the forum, but I´ve been testing Zeroshell for almost a month now.

Net Balancing was a big issue to me, i just did install the patch (on beta 15) and I´m running some tests… as far as I can see, downloads doesn´t drop anymore (I hope so), but I will be running some more tests.

Lyron

Well, I´m very sad to update that it doesn´t work for me… I downloads +/- 450 mb and then it drops… It´s better than after (+/- 3 mb), but I really need connection stability…

Maybe I´m missing something? :S

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.