Install Zerohell on a CF card – Image does not work!

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Install Zerohell on a CF card – Image does not work!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Aileron 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Aileron

I downloaded http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/zeroshell/ZeroShell-1.0.beta10-CompactFlash-IDE-USB-SATA-1GB.img.gz then decompressed it and copied it to a cf card in my card reader using the following command:

dd /dev/sdb

Now the funny thing: I can boot my notebook computer successfully from the CF when it is in the card reader. But when I put it into the CF => IDE converter of my zeroshell box it says “Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter”. Funnily enough, I can successfully boot from another CF card with another linux installation so all the bios settings seem to be correct. The CF disk also is recognized by the bios so i wonder why i can boot from it via USB but not via IDE. Any suggestions?

Aileron

Solved: For some reason the CF cannot be booted from when connected to a UDMA Controller (HPT376). While I have no problems booting HDDs or other CF Images from that controller, Zeroshell fails, not even Grub shows up. As soon as I connected it to a regular IDE port it worked – but not after trying to boot from the UDMA controller because that obviously destroyed the boot sector, I had to dd the image again to the CF before booting from IDE.

That just applies to older mainboards that have separate UDMA-IDE controllers.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.