How to Use ZeroShell-1.0.beta13-VMWARE in ESXi and vSphere

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell How to Use ZeroShell-1.0.beta13-VMWARE in ESXi and vSphere

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  slsmk 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

slsmk

This how to is for anyone having issues related to inablility to boot the the ZeroShell-1.0.beta13-VMWARE.zip image in ESXi, ESX, or vSphere.

If you unzip the image, upload the directory to a VMWare datastore, and try to add to the inventory, you will probably see one of the following issues:

Device ‘Hard disk 1’ has a backing type that is not supported. This is a
    general limitation of the virtual machine’s virtual hardware version on
    the selected host.
    – or –
    Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.
    Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, ‘/vmfs/volumes/49b0fdb3-ac3bb2da-0e9f-002219553b19/Zeroshell/Zeroshell.vmdk’
    Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7. Make sure that the disk has been imported.

These errors are generated because the vmware vmdk files were created in VMWare Server or VMWare workstation which uses a different method to handle vmdk which ESX and ESXi can’t use.

To Fix the issue, you need to convert the files into an ESXi usable disk.

Download the zip http://www.club.cc.cmu.edu/pub/zeroshell/ZeroShell-1.0.beta13-VMWARE.zip and extract.

To convert, you need the standalone converter from vmware. https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=converter Install that, then run a conversion using the zeroshell.vmx file you just extracted. Make sure you select SOURCE TYPE as VmWare Workstation. For the destination, enter your ESXi Server info and credentials. Pick name, datastore location, etc….

Once it creates the new VM, edit the settings and add the CDRom ISO as the connected image to the VM.

Now boot it up. You get to the shell where you can select the profile
    and the VMware Virtual disk is listed. You can create new profiles here
    as well.

porkradish

This is helpful but I found another way which may be preferred for some people. Instead of converting the image I downloaded the iso image and uploaded it to the datastore on my ESXi4 server. Then I created a blank VM with a small HDD. In the machine config I pointed the CDROM to the datastore ISO and put a check mark in the “Connect at Power on.” option.

Boots to the cd everytime and is a quick and dirty way to get running. This does leave the Zeroshell core readonly though so you may have problems if you want to make changes to the installed packages.

Since I am testing VPN throughput and QoS functions it has been a fast easy way to test drive the distro.

c.truter

Trying to setup zeroshell on vsphere esxi 4.1 without booting from the cd.
    But can’t find a way to accomplish this.

Can anyone point me in a direction?

paris

I would like to know 24hr-printer-cartridges.com it myself wait with great impatience 🙄

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.