How to create a basic LAN to LAN VPN with Zeroshell?

Home Page Forums Network Management VPN How to create a basic LAN to LAN VPN with Zeroshell?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DrDave 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

DrDave

Hello,

I found your product a few months ago and have been using it for a couple of my clients mainly just for routing. Great product, I support you, thank you.

One of my clients has a second office now. Just one WAN connection on both ends, very fast.

So, Zeroshell is installed and working great at the main office. The file/email/etc servers are all here.

I want to setup Zeroshell at the second location, have it VPN to the main office, so that the second location is basically on the same network as the main office… I’d like to even use the DHCP from the main office.
    The internet connection at the second office is alot faster than the main office, not sure if it will try to put all internet traffic through the main office? Id rather only local network traffic went over the VPN…

I googled and looked all through the forum and although I can find lots of articles about VPN setups, there is no real basic instructions for create a Host to Host VPN… I really have no clue what to do…

I have been able to create the VPN on both ends and have it connect. But pings wernt working. I tried to create a bridge between the VPN and the local network on both ends, but this started breaking the internet…

Really could use some step by step instructions on how to create a very basic Host to Host VPN…?

Kind of urgent, much thanks…
    Dave

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Hi,
    if the goal is to use also the same DHCP server in the second office that you are using in the main one then you have to use a VPN bridged solution. In other words you do not require static routes to forward the traffic on the VPN but instead you should put in the same bridge the LAN interface and the VPN endpoint. You need to configure this bridge on both the offices. In any case, sharing the dhcp server has the disadvantage all your client use the same default gateway and therefore also Internet traffic would be forwarded from the second office to the main one.
    Regards
    Fulvio

DrDave

Ok, so I should setup DHCP on both sides then right?
    Do I not need to bridge the lan and vpn? or only on one side? or?
    What is a VLAN? do I need that?

The main office runs on 192.168.0.1(router)
    I changed the subnet today from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0
    My guess would be to have the main network on 192.168.0.X and the second network for 192.168.1.X? Setup DHCP on both, one for the 0.x range and one for the 1.x range? Would that “just work” without the bridge? or?

Sorry to sound like such a noob… I’m not that stupid, just want to make sure I do it right… lol.

Thanks in advance for your help. Again it’s a very simple setup, no load balancing or anything (yet) just need the two locations to be able to access the servers…

Dave M

DrDave

The main goal:

It’s actually just a temp setup… They are moving offices but the servers will be left till the last minute at the old location.

I would like them to be able to take their computers to the new office, plug it in, and it wouldn’t really know the difference… They will be taking a month or two to move everything.

Thanks again!! Will be sending more donations for more activation keys!!

Dave M

zachary

If the goal is to use also the same DHCP server in the second office that you are using in the main one then you have to use a VPN bridged solution.
    This might help 192.168.0.1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.